Seeking Out Coffee Shops During Road Trip

stompilator

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello all!

My girlfriend and I will be taking a road trip from the Chicago suburbs to San Francisco very soon. We'll have a gallon of cold brew on hand, but we're both coffee lovers and want to pop into some excellent coffee shops along the way. We're taking I-55 through Illinois into Missouri, I-70 through Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Utah, I-50 through Utah and Nevada, and I-80 to San Francisco. What are some gems that are a reasonable distance from these highways?

Madelaine

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Another suburbanite! I'm not sure of the mid-country, but I'd say definitely stop at Sump Coffee in St Louis. It looks like it's not far off 55, and probably a good pit stop along the road.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
In St. Louis the two I like best are Sump & Blueprint... In Columbia, MO (half way between StL & KC) - Shortwave ... here in KC we have a very vibrant coffee scene: Quay coffee is the closest to the highway (right downtown/I-70), then Thou Mayest (just a mile or two south of highway), Oddly Correct, PT's Coffee, Broadway Coffee... our big roaster is Roasterie that has a cool quick tour. They are an air roaster so not my favorite but about the best tasting air roasted coffee I've ever tasted. 30 Miles west of KC is Lawrence, KS (home of Kansas Univ).. Alchemy Coffee.... 30 miles further west is PT's Coffee (they are based in Topeka but have a KC location... the Univ location in Topeka is very nice). Another hour or so is a tiny town called Salina, KS - Ad Astra Books & Coffee House is good (but not great). Pretty much anything west of Topeka you are a bit out of luck. Once your in Denver your back in good coffee land.. my favorite is Huckleberry (go to their Pecos location).. followed by BoxCar, Novo (mainly ethopian's - more downtown)... there are several others but they are south of I-70. That will at least take your coffee adventure from StL to Denver... I travel that stretch pretty regularly and all are what I consider solid choices (except maybe Salina.. )

stompilator

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the excellent tips so far guys! We're planning on going straight from the burbs to Colby, KS in the first day, so the Missouri/KS stops will be some nice resting points.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
FYI.. if you stop near lunch dinner time - here are a few good suggestions: Quey coffee its literally a block of the highway in the "River Market" area.. try the nice new artesian/napoleon pizza joint right next door (Quey does not roast). If you try Thou (they roast on 5K ... very quick 14 block south of highway) check out Grinders (more pizza/sandwiches) or Grinders South (a bit healthier sandwich/salads) are both next door to Thou. Feel free to hit me on for any KC details.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
There is nice coffee shop in Abilene, KS about 1 block south of I70, Sips Espresso Bar. I would stop there vs drive into Salina as it won't be adding much time to your schedule. Stop by and say hi to Bill or Kathy the owners. If Bill's there tell him hi from CC from the coffee forums!