Interested in building a mobile bicycle coffee cart.

tritom45ca

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a retired military member who is looking to do something I enjoy, which is coffee and bikes.

I would like to build a mobile bicycle coffee cart to sell and I'm looking for advice on equipment and the building process. The bike would be electric assist drive, it would be supported by a supply vehicle for water, beans, etc. Below is a pic of what I would like to make. I have a local bike builder who is helping me out and I will be making the box with my carpentry skills.

6ea218ebcd9b965185d83a4be2cb509a.jpg
I would like some advice on a good two group machine to use, I understand I will most likely need a generator to power the espresso machine, grinder, pos, small speakers and Ipod and water pump.

I would appreciate any help as I take on this endeavor.

Cheers,

Tom

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I know nothing about this topic... but I know there is a builder of 'bike carts' based out of Portland. May want to poke around and see how they are handling the generators, etc.

tritom45ca

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I know nothing about this topic... but I know there is a builder of 'bike carts' based out of Portland. May want to poke around and see how they are handling the generators, etc.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'm looking for high efficient items, cooler, led lighting, etc.

TheGreenJoe

Nov 8, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
Hey Tom!
I just finished writing a blog post about how to pick an espresso machine for a mobile setting. I would throw a few things your way...

The energy draw from the espresso machine mainly has to do with the boiler. Specifically the heating elements. Single boilers rock because they don't use alot of energy. They are easy to power. But they stink because they are slow. Once you draw your shot, you have to wait before you can steam milk.
Dual boilers are awesome because you don't have to wait! Two boilers means one for espresso and one for milk. But they are energy hots. Pulling 4-5k watts.
A nice middle ground is a single boiler with a heat exchange. It still draws low energy, but you don't have to wait to steam milk :)

TheGreenJoe

Nov 8, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
The nice thing about a bike, is that you can generate your own power! I wonder what you might be able to do with a set of marine batteries, an inverter and a pedal powered generator.

As for POS, I use a Square on a ipad and a single nights charge will easily carry me through the day. So, no sweat there.

Your grinder is going to cost you some power. And if you plan on doing Fraps, so will your blender.

tritom45ca

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I like the idea of not waiting, not a good customer experience. So I think it will be dual or heat exchanger. Once the bike is started, I will post some pictures and show my progress.

TheGreenJoe

Nov 8, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
You know Tom, in all honesty I don't mind a wait. I know it seems strange, but I personally believe that a decent line is the best advertisement you can have for your company. People see the line and are attracted to it. So sometimes a line can be a good thing.

Look into the Heat Exchange because on your set up, I think you're going to like the fact that it's 1/2 the wattage. That means no loud ass generator next to you (that weights 250 lbs) and also means you have a decent chance of powering this thing through other options, ie solar, bike power or batteries. If I were sitting in your shoes, that's the route I would explore.