NEW STORE

dalkey

Mar 4, 2005
Ireland
Visit site
Hi all, looking for a little equiptment help :)

I have a 2 story building in Dublin Ireland where i have an internet cafe. Am now considering expanding the coffee side of the business. Would like to introduce a cafe on the ground floor with seating for approx 35 people. Have a mock up design of the floor space but am having trouble designing the 'Barista' area.
Having set up a previous business am all to aware that one can be 'over sold' equiptment and so am turning to you guys for help.
What are the basic pieces of equiptment needed to create an execellent espresso?
Thanks for any help

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If you are only doing espresso, you need a good espresso machine, two espresso grinders, an undercounter fridge, glassware, miscellaneous equipment (steaming pitchers, tamper, syrup rack, etc.) and some great espresso. You can check out some pictures of our bar on our website (http://jpscoffee.com/v-web/gallery/Around-JPs/DSC01857).

As a matter of fact the blond barista you see in the picture on this link married a guy from Ireland. Small world.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
JPS,

I just now have gotten around to reading this post, and enjoyed the pictures from your coffeehouse. I have not started on my coffeehouse yet - am waiting to pounce on the right location when it presents itself.

Meanwhile, I am curious, your business looks mighty healthy...how many cups per day, on average do you sell, if I am not being too nosy. Or do you use something else as an activity base? (Again, I don't want to be too nosy).

Thanks,
Ellie

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
Glad to see someone in Eire with an interest in offering good espresso. I spent ten days in ireland last year and had exactly one good cappuccino of the many that I tried. It was in Kilkenny at a small Internet cafe that had a one group ECM machine. You'll want a two group but my point is that even humble equipment can produce great results if you use it properly.

There may be some thread on here that discuss work area design ut I suggest spendng some time in a few different espresso bars in Dublin (I assume there are at least a couple good ones?). Make notes on how they're laid out but more important.... watch the sequence of tasks that the barista has to perform. There are far more poorly designed cafes out there than good ones. Once you've worked up a design idea try laying it out with masking tape and/or cardboard cut-outs on a floor area about the size of the space you'll have to work with. Get back there with another person and role play. Count your steps... see where you're bumoing into each other. Is there enough space? Do you have to retrace your path too many times to make and serve one drink? Are the refrigerator doors and the register opening the right way and leaving room enough for the second person to do their job?

These things are easy to correct before you finish your build-out but not after.