What types of cups ar best?

Buzzi

Mar 7, 2005
Visit site
Ok- this may seem trivial- however the coffee shop I'm buying out uses styrofoam (not the white kind) cups for cold and paper cups for hot.

I'm with her on the hot- and somehwat agree on the cold- but know most high end places use the clear. I imagine the concept is to appreciate the look of what your drinking- but I (personally) hate the way they sweat on a hot day- and hate having to wrap a napkin around the cup!

What do you guys use- and does the customer really notice?

Also- a coffee house I recently visited has these slider coffee lids which I really liked- they were too close for me to be bold enough to ask- where do you get these lids? Does anyone currently use these?

Resurrecting a very old post, but I would like to know what kind of cups you all are using for both hot and cold. I am using styro, gasp, for both now, and I am entertaining different options. A recent price increase should help cover the cost, and at $4.79 for a large frozen cap or smoothie, I think the customer should at least get to see how pretty their drink is.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
In house, ceramic only.
To go, paper.

No styrofoam... ever. REALLY screws with the taste of the coffee. Paper is bad enough, but styrofoam is like going to going to the refreshment stand at a community swimming pool.

C

coffeeloverlisa

I thought the trend now was a rebate or incentive for customers when they brought in their own mugs or cups?

I am looking into using dart Conex plastic for cold drinks for looks and recycle ability basically. I am still debating on the switch to paper fornthe hot cups. One at a time I guess. I am having a hard time figuring out where to get the lowest price on them. My normal distributor is sky high on them. I know that it is a step up from styro as far as price goes, but wow is all I can say. We are talking triple the price!

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
for to go, we use soft touch cups. pricey, but no need for a sleeve. I found a nice place in Tucson that has all the sizes of ceramic mugs I need. very reasonable by the case. southwest glass is the name, I think. we sell 12, 16 & 20 oz cups. hate to do it, but use the 20 oz perfect touch for cold drinks. needing only 2 sizes of lids is very helpful

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I also like the soft touch except for one problem. People like sleeves. I know its stupid but its like some kind of status thing I think. We used the soft touch and people still asked for sleeves. I explained to theme that it was "built in" and they would just get annoyed and say my coffee shop always has sleeves :roll:

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
yeah. we have sleeves, they are some give-away fire prevention sleeve. I suppose having sleeves printed with our logo and using cheaper paper cups would sure be a good thing to think about!

balahari

Feb 4, 2011
Chennai, India
Visit site
I always prefer paper cups are best. Because it is not reusable. Most people avoid using the things which is used by another people. For them, paper cups are more convenient and also it is very easy to dispose. Many machinery companies are manufacturing high quality and high capacity automatic paper cups machines. So coffee shops and restaurant owners can make use of that..