Coffee Drink Sizes

Twidbin

Sep 26, 2016
Iowa
Visit site
Hey guys brand new to this website! Great info here. Got a question.

I am in the process of buying an existing drive through coffee shop, and looking at making some much needed updates. One of which is on the menu. They have an extremely complicated menu, with 3 sizes (12, 16, 20oz.). I am thinking of cutting this down to just two, and only have a 16 and 20oz option. Does anyone have any experience with this and have suggestions?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
When I started in coffee it was 8oz and 12 oz cups. When they introduced the 16 oz we were like who the hell is going to drink that much coffee. Now I look at the 8 oz and say who the hell would drink that?? I personally think that 16 oz and 20oz is the way to go. I bet you sell more 16 oz. I was in a shop the the other day and ordered a 16 oz drip( I hate saying grande) They said in a snobbish manner we only serve 12 oz...sigh. Then give me 2 12 oz coffees please. Let us know how you get on. Welcome to the forums!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Then on the other side of the coin, I am seeing more and more people who ask for a half cup of coffee. I feel bad charging them for a full cup, so I adjust the price when I ring it up on the register. They don't fill the cup up with milk, if that's what you're thinking. They only want a little bit of coffee.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
on that note...what is everyone charging for a 12, 16 or 20 oz cup? The place I went to was $3 for a 12 oz of coffee. That was just drip not a chemex or pour over...d r i p.

bstcups

Dec 26, 2016
China
Visit site
Hey guys brand new to this website! Great info here. Got a question.

I am in the process of buying an existing drive through coffee shop, and looking at making some much needed updates. One of which is on the menu. They have an extremely complicated menu, with 3 sizes (12, 16, 20oz.). I am thinking of cutting this down to just two, and only have a 16 and 20oz option. Does anyone have any experience with this and have suggestions?

This is a good question, and i think i will the suitable person to answer this, because i come from a factory of paper cups in China, there are many sizes of paper coffee cups, different cups were used in different place, if you are a coffee cup, i think 12oz (400ml) and 16oz (500ml) will be the best, 8oz (250ml) is too small, and 20oz (600ml) is too big. i got this information from the feedback of my customers, so hope it can help you.

Nugget

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
12&16 and 4oz cups for to go espresso...since you have a drive through. That, and big cups make the product seem cheap. 22oz is a lot of coffee or milk if it's a latte.