Pricing Feedback

Twidbin

Sep 26, 2016
Iowa
Visit site
I am in the process of purchasing an existing coffee shop, so starting to review their operations and make adjustments accordingly. Wanted to get you guys feedback on their current pricing model. Here is their menu, looking for any feedback you have on both menu options and pricing 20160916_124711.jpg

Thanks!

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Beside the point that the menu board is way to complicated and needs some major pruning it looks like a number of things are in line with the prices I usually see. Not knowing the products they are using for ingredients it's hard to comment on COG ratios however some things are significantly under priced in my opinion. Making a Breve for 30 cents more is leaving money on the table and the iced drinks should be higher. If the product is good you should be asking what is the perceived value to the customer, ie. "That mocha is so good I would have paid $6 for it and I got a steel at $5." You don't want people saying, " I'm glad I only paid $3.85 for that chai because it wasn't even worth that."

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Have you compared your prices with other coffee shops in the area?

I was wondering why the prices for the hot beverages (cafe late, cafe mocha etc.) are the same as for the iced late and iced mocha. Iced drinks are usually priced higher, because it takes extra effort to make them and ice them down, and you have to factor in the cost of making the ice. The cups are usually more expensive, too.

Maybe charge $4.00 for anything made over ice and just offer one size for the iced drinks?

Twidbin

Sep 26, 2016
Iowa
Visit site
Great feedback guys, thank you. We are completely redoing the menu/branding of it, it is an absolute cluster right now. Which is why I want to take a good look at pricing. I think for the area it is a little bit lower, but it can go up a bit as well. I guess I was not aware that iced drinks are typically that much more, thanks for pointing that out.

The one drink size for iced is a good idea, we are going to just two sizes on all hot drinks soon as well. We just need to really simplify things.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It's great that you're planning on simplifying things.

When people have too many choices (drink sizes in particular) they tend to stand at the counter trying to make up their minds, while the line behind them gets longer and longer. I sometimes want to shout..."Geez...it's not rocket science...just pick one!"

Rose

Latest posts