This is happening quick.

SuzieHomemaker

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
I sold my company that manufactured makeup 2 1/2 years ago. I did not sell the 3 year old 2,400 sq ft building on Main Street that we built to house my growing makeup business. I have spent the last 6 months weighing the options of going back to work or opening a new business. I always had the idea of a coffee shop in mind but knew it would be expensive to get started. I had already started moving in the direction of sitting up a commercial kitchen in the building and was about 1 week from it being complete. I was planning to bake cakes, pies, and etc. Well, things changed quick the last few weeks. I was able to get a great deal on a ton of equipment. We are talking an espresso machine, commercial freezer, stove, hand washing sink,convection oven, 3 hole sink, 2 commercial grinders, a drink fridge, pizza oven, coffee pots, coffee brewer, pour over system, cup holders, high chairs, all the paper goods, silverware, ticket books, display shelves, cups, and etc for under $2,000....

My husband thinks we can get everything done and be open in 6 months and under 10,000 total cost. We'll see.....

I do have a few questions.

Is there a such thing as too much room behind the counter? My area for behind the counter is 10 by 18 feet. I am concerned about too much room to go to get to things I need.

What is the one thing you would have done different with your layout if you could go back to the drawing board?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks!

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
We had the opposite problem, too little room but the concepts probably will be the same. The areas behind the counter were designed such that each station was set up like a pod, that is the person manning each station could perform most if not all tasks without moving around

espressogurus

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD, USA
Visit site
Yes, there is a thing like too much room behind the counter. You want to keep it nice and tidy open and close at the same time. you dont want employees bumping into each other but at the same time you dont want employees walking to far away because at the end of the day thats costing you time.

here is an example:

The right amount of room = 1 minute waiting time for customers
too much room = 3 minutes waiting time for customers.