Opening shop

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
I'm young, and I have plenty of time to work this all out, but I have this passions, this dream - to open a coffee shop. One day I'd like to have one in Manhattan but for now, I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I just have some really basic questions for anyone who can help.

1. I know of some training seminars and schools. How are these schools looked upon in the industry? I'd like the training but if it will be a joke on my resume, I need to know!
2. If these schools are a good idea, where have some of you gone - what did or didn't you like about them?
3. Are there any books or videos you would suggest I look at before making any decisions?
4. Financially, where do I get started? Where do I look and who do I talk to?
5. What are the first, most basic steps involved in this process?

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
first steps

Tons of stuff to do but do these things first to get a good foundation:

1) join the SCAA at scaa.org and do TONS of research there.
2) Attend as many coffee conferences as you can to meet new vendors, get experience and exposure and a big picture view, SCAA conference in April is the best one
3) Get a job at the BEST QUALITY coffeehouse within 50 miles of your home and learn everything you can.
4) Subscribe to fresh cup and specialty coffee retailer magazines
5) Talk to some great coffee roasters and find a coffee roasting partner and pick their brain constantly.
6) Drink espresso at every cafe within 100 miles of your house.
7) then get a lobotomy so you will not mind the 100 hour weeks, low money and super stress and only focus on the killer espresso and coffee and the people! :p