Gimme coffee workers vote to unionize!

Missjune75

Mar 30, 2017
New York City
Visit site
I read the article. I believe the main point about "unionization" is : In the growing effort to secure a living wage for coffee professionals and a larger sense of involvement at the barista level, unionization provides one avenue towards both.

I was wondering ... what is the beginning and top salary for Barista in USA?
also, let's say that Barista has his/her own family to support in Los Angeles (where I live), how much does he has to make to make a decent living and support his family? Between $20 to $30 per hour? is that achievable from "unionizing"?

Those are good questions. I wonder too with tips how much a barista makes here in NYC. The minimum wage is in the process of being moved up to $15 in NYC thanks to Mayor de Blasio. The wage increase will be a positive change for so many workers here in NYC. De Blasio has also mandated sick time for anyone (even temporary employees) who has worked 80 hours or more at their job.

In NYC the employer has the right to fire any non-unionized person for any reason (besides discriminatory) so my guess would be that job security was one motivation behind the decision to unionize - as well as vacation time.