Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dick, I am have access to the very simple automatic espresso machine designed in Japan and manufactured in China. I represent the wholesale company here in the states. The price is unbeatable, very simple to use and very durable. Let me know if I can be assistant to your venture.

CJ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeJunky View Post
    Dick, I am have access to the very simple automatic espresso machine designed in Japan and manufactured in China. I represent the wholesale company here in the states. The price is unbeatable, very simple to use and very durable. Let me know if I can be assistant to your venture.

CJ
    Hey CJ, would you mind giving us bit more info about the machine? perhaps website? thanks

Hi, my intent for this project has always been to gather enough information so that owners can make an informed choice as to whether it makes business sense to hire disabled workers. There is empirical evidence that disabled employees are effective, enthusiastic, have a lower turnover rate, lower absenteeism and are accepted by the general public. Given the difficulties in hiring and keeping good employees in the service industry, it seems that if barriers to employment can be overcome by a change in business practice or implementing technology that shop owners would make those investments. When that happens I feel that a real change can be made in peoples lives, more so than than the last 40 years of government studies/programs/tax incentives. Rather than creating a better iron lung, profitable business models cure the underlying disease.

To that end for my shop I am projecting that modifying equipment (super-auto, auto dosing grinder, touch screen menu, auto-froth, counter/shop modifications) will cost 15k more than a shop with equipped not so equipped. A nice to have would be a 2kg roaster (setup with computerized profiling), Avirnaki or similar, grinding and packaging equipment etc of 25k. Because I do not know how much supervision and training will be involved I am projecting labor costs of 40% of sales, or an additional 35k in payrolls in my pro-formas. As you can imagine the pro-forma financials for a 150/ticket a day shop are disastrous with those numbers. The numbers are worse-case but must be dealt with and I have chosen not to seek grants, charity/donations etc., and I am not rich. My guess is the average shop owner is not rich either and would not take on debt/seek charity/chase grants to hire disabled employees either.

Because of that we are launching an Indiegogo campaign on March 7, pre-selling coffee, offering merchandise etc. While of course we are hoping to earn money for the startup I also want to prove that a shop can fund equipment and training costs without taking on debt by gathering support from your community in the form of pre-sales. Again, I do not know the numbers but am operating on the assumption that if our project will show up in the newsfeed of 4 million people on March 7 when our campaign launches, that perhaps 1 person in 1,000 will decide to buy a cool t-shirt or pound of coffee. To make that happen we are using thunderclap.it to create a social media flash-mob. As of this morning our social media reach on that day is 390,000 of our 4 million goal.

Please consider joining our flash mob. You can find out more and sign up at https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/...ial-revolution

thanks!
    https://www.facebook.com/PerkyPlanet...6218905803318/

Quote Originally Posted by DickV3636 View Post
    Hi Joe, thank you for the kind words. I agree that nothing else much matters if we can't get a quality coffee in the cup every time. I think for my application that automation is going to be key; and I have been closely watching the newer machines. In particular the Rancilio Egro line for espresso drinks. Regardless of the equipment I ultimately choose you are right that having a system that produces a consistent great product will be key.

I don't think I will tackle roasting on-site at this juncture, mostly because the proposed shop is tight at 760 sf. There is another shop being constructed in the building 100 yards away that will come in around 1k foot which I am considering as well and it will have access to hood exhaust. At this point though I am chatting with some local quality roasters and will most likely utilize them to start. 760 shop on far left of this photo, 1k just right of mid-building. Attachment 9111Attachment 9112
    Starbucks has all the automation and unlimited resources to provide a consistently bad cup of coffee every time. It works for Starbucks...not sure it will work for a start up.

Quote Originally Posted by DickV3636 View Post
    There is another shop being constructed in the building 100 yards away that will come in around 1k foot which I am considering as well and it will have access to hood exhaust. Attachment 9111Attachment 9112
    I hate to be a downer... but I'm concerned for you if your going to have a competitor 100 yards away. Any lease I sign requires a non-compete in the building/project/development. Your easily going to split your #'s in half.. to me that is not a wise business decision.

You are absolutely correct. I should have said that there is another retail space available that is larger. It's under construction so there is nothing there now. Any lease I sign will have a non-compete. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I hate to be a downer... but I'm concerned for you if your going to have a competitor 100 yards away. Any lease I sign requires a non-compete in the building/project/development. Your easily going to split your #'s in half.. to me that is not a wise business decision.

competitor or not , you can always be succesful , just do what the dont !

Dick hope all is well, how is your progress going with your shop?

yes

yes I want

Quote Originally Posted by JoeConiglioArmenia View Post
    Dick hope all is well, how is your progress going with your shop?
    Meeting at site Friday, will post pictures

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links