blown away

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am now just getting back into the swing of things. I had a blast in GB for the New Years! I spent 9 days over there and was blown away by the growing coffee industry there. It is barely tapped! In the states you can throw a stone and hit a shop. I wish I could move over and be a part of their growth! There is so much money to be made!! Don't get me wrong I love the industry and am very passionate about it but lets be honest we are all here to make money. I went into a few shops and tasted the coffee and was pleasantly surprised. I did like on shop that I went to and asked where they got their coffee. The barista stuck his chest out and said proudly, "We ethically source our coffee from X, Y and Z. I tried again...no where is your coffee roasted? He looked puzzled for a moment and turned to the other barista and asked her. She proudly said, "We ethically source our coffee from X,Y and Z." I repeated it slower....they then got it and said, "awww...ROASTED!" "Not really sure just know its ethically sourced . Do not take this as I am making fun of them...I just see the potential for a great start up business...so much room for growth and educating the guests! Majority of people that drink coffee at home there use instant. They are used to a "regular" coffee yet no one serves drip coffee in their stores. Anyone know why? I understand that the price of a specialty drink is higher but drip coffee has huge profit margins...oh well enough rambling. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I am now just getting back into the swing of things. I had a blast in GB for the New Years! I spent 9 days over there and was blown away by the growing coffee industry there. It is barely tapped! In the states you can throw a stone and hit a shop. I wish I could move over and be a part of their growth! There is so much money to be made!! Don't get me wrong I love the industry and am very passionate about it but lets be honest we are all here to make money. I went into a few shops and tasted the coffee and was pleasantly surprised. I did like on shop that I went to and asked where they got their coffee. The barista stuck his chest out and said proudly, "We ethically source our coffee from X, Y and Z. I tried again...no where is your coffee roasted? He looked puzzled for a moment and turned to the other barista and asked her. She proudly said, "We ethically source our coffee from X,Y and Z." I repeated it slower....they then got it and said, "awww...ROASTED!" "Not really sure just know its ethically sourced . Do not take this as I am making fun of them...I just see the potential for a great start up business...so much room for growth and educating the guests! Majority of people that drink coffee at home there use instant. They are used to a "regular" coffee yet no one serves drip coffee in their stores. Anyone know why? I understand that the price of a specialty drink is higher but drip coffee has huge profit margins...oh well enough rambling. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Hello Topher,

Welcome back!

When you wrote in your Happy New Year post (before your left for the holiday) that you were headed to Manchester for a New Years celebration, I wasn't sure where you were going. There are so many towns in the US called Manchester. So, after reading today's post, I'm guessing the BG stands for Great Britain. Silly me.

I'm glad you had a good time. It seems that the "world of coffee" stays in your blood, wherever you go.

Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Yes, could be true that "most" of people in coffee industry is here to make money. However, I can not say "we are ALL here to make money". some of us might have bit different notion about coffee industry and how we spend the profits from the coffee.... Anyway, welcome back Topher. We "all" missed you very much :+)
I stand corrected. There are some here that are not in the business but are home enthusiasts. Not sure what you implying in this statement , "some of us might have bit different notion about coffee industry and how we spend the profits from the coffee" You saying that you do this for free?