Thread: blown away

Super Moderator

blown away

I am now just getting back into the swing of things. I had a blast in GB for the New Years! I spent 9 days over there and was blown away by the growing coffee industry there. It is barely tapped! In the states you can throw a stone and hit a shop. I wish I could move over and be a part of their growth! There is so much money to be made!! Don't get me wrong I love the industry and am very passionate about it but lets be honest we are all here to make money. I went into a few shops and tasted the coffee and was pleasantly surprised. I did like on shop that I went to and asked where they got their coffee. The barista stuck his chest out and said proudly, "We ethically source our coffee from X, Y and Z. I tried again...no where is your coffee roasted? He looked puzzled for a moment and turned to the other barista and asked her. She proudly said, "We ethically source our coffee from X,Y and Z." I repeated it slower....they then got it and said, "awww...ROASTED!" "Not really sure just know its ethically sourced . Do not take this as I am making fun of them...I just see the potential for a great start up business...so much room for growth and educating the guests! Majority of people that drink coffee at home there use instant. They are used to a "regular" coffee yet no one serves drip coffee in their stores. Anyone know why? I understand that the price of a specialty drink is higher but drip coffee has huge profit margins...oh well enough rambling. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    I am now just getting back into the swing of things. I had a blast in GB for the New Years! I spent 9 days over there and was blown away by the growing coffee industry there. It is barely tapped! In the states you can throw a stone and hit a shop. I wish I could move over and be a part of their growth! There is so much money to be made!! Don't get me wrong I love the industry and am very passionate about it but lets be honest we are all here to make money. I went into a few shops and tasted the coffee and was pleasantly surprised. I did like on shop that I went to and asked where they got their coffee. The barista stuck his chest out and said proudly, "We ethically source our coffee from X, Y and Z. I tried again...no where is your coffee roasted? He looked puzzled for a moment and turned to the other barista and asked her. She proudly said, "We ethically source our coffee from X,Y and Z." I repeated it slower....they then got it and said, "awww...ROASTED!" "Not really sure just know its ethically sourced . Do not take this as I am making fun of them...I just see the potential for a great start up business...so much room for growth and educating the guests! Majority of people that drink coffee at home there use instant. They are used to a "regular" coffee yet no one serves drip coffee in their stores. Anyone know why? I understand that the price of a specialty drink is higher but drip coffee has huge profit margins...oh well enough rambling. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.
    Hello Topher,

Welcome back!

When you wrote in your Happy New Year post (before your left for the holiday) that you were headed to Manchester for a New Years celebration, I wasn't sure where you were going. There are so many towns in the US called Manchester. So, after reading today's post, I'm guessing the BG stands for Great Britain. Silly me.

I'm glad you had a good time. It seems that the "world of coffee" stays in your blood, wherever you go.

Rose

Wouldn’t take much for me to pack up and go. Just need a good push!
    Charlie
    If you are afraid of failure or losing money, quit while you are ahead

Banned
    I wish I could move over and be a part of their growth! There is so much money to be made!! Don't get me wrong I love the industry and am very passionate about it but lets be honest we are all here to make money.
    Yes, could be true that "most" of people in coffee industry is here to make money. However, I can not say "we are ALL here to make money". some of us might have bit different notion about coffee industry and how we spend the profits from the coffee.... Anyway, welcome back Topher. We "all" missed you very much :+)

Banned
    Majority of people that drink coffee at home there use instant. They are used to a "regular" coffee yet no one serves drip coffee in their stores. Anyone know why?
    I sell couple of different but similar named coffee varietals. "pache" and "pache colis". their names are similar, but they ARE indeed different in so many ways.

so i guess that I can say Instant coffee and fresh coffee are different products and they have their own places in the market. We do not see much instant coffee here at home (in USA) but in China and in UK, instant coffee is still the king.

Believe it or not, in UK, instant still accounts for over 70% when in Italy, it accounts for just 1%, in France 4% and around 8% in USA.

So why instant coffee is so popular in UK? That is because of us! US = USA = Americans during WWII.
    It is us who are credited with giving England the instant coffee. It came over in the ration packs of US military troops during WWII. And for a nation of tea drinkers, even the instant coffee was something new and exciting and caught on.

And you know about English people...:+) they do not like to change things.... (well, just like my mother, ha ha ha)

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    Yes, could be true that "most" of people in coffee industry is here to make money. However, I can not say "we are ALL here to make money". some of us might have bit different notion about coffee industry and how we spend the profits from the coffee.... Anyway, welcome back Topher. We "all" missed you very much :+)
    I stand corrected. There are some here that are not in the business but are home enthusiasts. Not sure what you implying in this statement , "some of us might have bit different notion about coffee industry and how we spend the profits from the coffee" You saying that you do this for free?

"Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Banned
    I stand corrected. There are some here that are not in the business but are home enthusiasts. Not sure what you implying in this statement , "some of us might have bit different notion about coffee industry and how we spend the profits from the coffee" You saying that you do this for free?
    when there is some profit from our company, I do not bring the profit home (Los Angeles). They ALL go to the school that I sponsor and for the kids that I sponsor in Guatemala. Of course, there are a lot more to this simple reply, but I do not think that it is my place here to explain what I do. Anyway, welcome back and hopefully we can here more about your interesting trip to UK. thanks Topher.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links