Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    BIC
    BIC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Antigua, Salcaja, Xela, Guatemala
    Posts
    625

    Should coffee shops offer some discount for the people who bring in their own cup?

    considering "eco-friendly" thing, should coffee shop offer some sort of discount for the customers purchase when the customer brings in his or her own cup?
    if so, what would be the reasonable discount?

  2. #2
    BIC
    BIC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Antigua, Salcaja, Xela, Guatemala
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    No, same reason I don't want to go to a restaurant where customers bring their own plates...
    I am a tennis coach while I am in LA.
    when I go to court and coach, I bring my racket, balls, water..etc but never bring tennis court net to install..... I guess that same logic applies here.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Near Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,808
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    No, same reason I don't want to go to a restaurant where customers bring their own plates...

    We each have to do whatever we need to do to feel comfortable. There are no right or wrong answers.

    There is a chain of restaurants on the East Coast called Famous Dave's. They have barbeque style food. I have a friend who always wants to go there, because the food is good. But, the turn off for me is that they serve the main course (roasted chicken, corn on the cob, etc.) in a basket that is lined with a piece of parchment paper. I'm sure the baskets get re-used over and over again, and I can't imagine that they have a way of sanitizing them. The parchment paper liner gets wet from the food and it tears as you're cutting the meat. I am very uncomfortable with that because I'm sure the basket itself isn't clean. So . . . If my friend wants me to go to that restaurant with her, she knows she has to be okay with me bringing my own heavy-duty paper plates so I can transfer the food out of the basket and onto my paper plates after it's served. The food servers have no problem with me doing that, and they're remarked that it's a good idea.

    To get back on track with the original question:

    I don't think a coffee shop should offer a discount for people who bring their own cups or mugs. If someone seriously wants to be "eco-friendly," they will make the effort whether they get a discount or not.

    I don't like it when someone brings in their travel mug and wants me to fill it with coffee. At the very least, I ask them to remove the lid so I don't have to touch the area where they've been drinking. I also make a point to wash my hands afterwards. I'm a bit of a germaphobe . . . . especially after taking Food Service Sanitation classes many years ago. There are so many ways for cross-contamination if you refill someone's mug or cup.

    Being "eco-friendly" can also cause a lot of other problems. This past winter I watched a stomach virus spread faster than lightening. All it takes is one person cross-contaminating a food service area and before you know it, the whole staff is calling out sick. I dread to think of how many innocent people (customers) got sick too.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Near Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,808
    It looks like there actually are some places that offer discounts for bringing in your own cup. Starbucks have been offering the discount for years.

    A quick Google search here:
    https://www.google.com/search?source...A0.zaTXB50eA-w

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    5
    No, you don't put tennis in your mouth, or do you?

  6. #6
    BIC
    BIC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Antigua, Salcaja, Xela, Guatemala
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by siavash82ir View Post
    No, you don't put tennis in your mouth, or do you?
    Me? no. but wilfried tsonga Yes.
    Should coffee shops offer some discount for the people who bring in their own cup?-jo-wilfried-tsonga-eat-ball-uso11.jpg
    PS: BTW, Appreciate you missing the point, anyway. ha ha ha

  7. #7
    BIC
    BIC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Antigua, Salcaja, Xela, Guatemala
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Being "eco-friendly" can also cause a lot of other problems. This past winter I watched a stomach virus spread faster than lightening. All it takes is one person cross-contaminating a food service area and before you know it, the whole staff is calling out sick. I dread to think of how many innocent people (customers) got sick too.
    which.......reminds me of "coffee zombie" ha ha ha ha (imagine Vincent Price Laugh from the music video "Thriller" coffee zombies)

    Should coffee shops offer some discount for the people who bring in their own cup?-3000390_0.jpgShould coffee shops offer some discount for the people who bring in their own cup?-zombie-coffee.png

    PS: Zombie coffee could be a good name for your future coffee shop or coffee brand, ha ha ha

  8. #8
    BIC
    BIC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Antigua, Salcaja, Xela, Guatemala
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    PS: Zombie coffee could be a good name for your future coffee shop or coffee brand, ha ha ha
    Zombie Hellbilly brew from Organic Peru????
    I won't be drinking coffee for a while........ I wonder what they were thinking....

    Should coffee shops offer some discount for the people who bring in their own cup?-zomb-mnn_1.jpg

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    1,468
    When we ran a mobile espresso based setup we gave a .25 discount for those that supplied their own mug, travel cup, etc. That saved a decent amount as good to-go cups/lids aren't cheap and less waste thrown in the trash. That worked extremely well for one customer/superfan in particular as her to-go was espresso based lattes (hot, iced and blended) that was approaching 1 gallon. She had several 32-48 oz. insulated travel cups/kegs and I filled them up with what she ordered. Imagine how many 16 oz. cups/lids/straws that saved... I had no problem giving anybody's mug/travel cup a wash/rinse/sanitize in the sink and let the drinks rip.
    Last edited by shadow745; 07-31-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

  10. #10
    BIC
    BIC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Antigua, Salcaja, Xela, Guatemala
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    When we ran a mobile espresso based setup we gave a .25 discount for those that supplied their own mug, travel cup, etc. That saved a decent amount as good to-go cups/lids aren't cheap and less waste thrown in the trash. That worked extremely well for one customer/superfan in particular as her to-go was espresso based lattes (hot, iced and blended) that was approaching 1 gallon. She had several 32-48 oz. insulated travel cups/kegs and I filled them up with what she ordered. Imagine how many 16 oz. cups/lids/straws that saved... I had no problem giving anybody's mug/travel cup a wash/rinse/sanitize in the sink and let the drinks rip.
    yup. that sounds great.
    I completely agree with you. if everyone can bring their own travel mugs, can you imagine how much of plastic wastes we can avoid for this planet?
    also, I don't have any problem with cleaning customer's cup. I think it should be a part of service and probably that service will bring in more customers.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Have growers... How to bring to the US?
    By BilingualSpanish in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2018, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 04:18 PM
  3. Do you bring your espresso to office?
    By maisatomai in forum Coffee Table
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 05:34 AM