Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    1,551
    I'll throw in my .02 on the subject... IMBHO it's blown way out of proportion in such a short period of time. Yes I assume it's a serious illness for many, but no more serious than tons of other ailments. For many years I've battled debilitating asthma/allergies and due to being on prednisone for serious inflammation daily for years it weakened my immune system. Didn't have a clue at the time, but a little over 1.5 yrs ago I somehow/somewhere inhaled the cryptococcus fungus and it attacked my system in the form of cryptococcal meningitis. THAT (along with other strains of meningitis) is very serious, life threatening and leaves most victims with lifelong side effects that are far worse than something I will definitely claim as being simple/short lived with the coronavirus in mind. Just found out yesterday that the county I grew up in (40 miles south of my current home) has been declared a state of emergency for ONE (yes ONE) documented case of the coronavirus. I mean damn people... wash your hands often, wear a mask if need be, but don't stay home hiding in fear because of a lame virus. With all the serious issues I've had with this strain of meningitis I damn sure won't run from it. Yes I do pay close attention to my surroundings and don't take stupid chances, but with what I've beaten in life I simply refuse to be taken down by this lame/weak virus. Guess my 'rant' is because I get fed up of so much focus being placed on things of this nature, when you have people seriously affected by so many other illnesses that go overlooked quite often.
    Last edited by shadow745; 03-11-2020 at 05:04 AM.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by IFixJura View Post
    Then I think the difference is when flu "killed" 80,000 each year, people think it's normal; but when Corona killed 8, it's a big deal...
    I think the problem is we can't compare the two at all at this point. The seasonal flu has saturated the planet and the human population. It's everywhere. So, anyone on the planet can be exposed to it. Covid-19 has existed in the human population for all of 2 1/3 months. And it is nowhere near saturation of the human population. It exists thus far only in select countries but much of the planet has yet to be exposed. We won't know the full impact of covid-19 until it has spread everywhere and the full population has been exposed for a full year. Then the raw data on deaths will mean something. What we can conclude however is that this virus is deadly, relative to how many people have been exposed. To compare it to anything is fairly meaningless.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,357
    Interesting interview on Rogan's show... https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    472
    Welcome to the world of social media and instant messaging.

    It is like the police emergency broadcasts (in my home province) that are province wide. My phone ocassionally blows up at 3am for what (to me) is assinine reasons. The phone has an alarm that screeches and then they give you updates all night long. I would understand if it were relevant to the area I live but in all these years, emergency concerns relevant to the area have been few and far between. The emergencies ? Often it is that a child has wandered off, a parent has kidnapped their child.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by IFixJura View Post
    Yes, people usually scared of something they don't know or doesn't exist the most, that is why we have ghost stories. Even it replaces seasonal flu, it will only kill 80,000 a year in this country. So no big deal.
    And if I'm not mistaken, I believe I read that the 80,000 deaths was last year and was an aberration. Worst year on record. But not normal.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by IFixJura View Post
    Whatever number is still much worse than what we have now. Why we don't shutdown everything when somebody had flu? Isn't it more deadly by any measure?
    We dont' know if it is more deadly or not. Different countries have different death rates as I think someone stated already. The virus isn't everywhere. If it ever spreads to such an extent that it is everywhere, then we'll know what the death rate is because we'll have more testing and more date to better understand where the virus is active and who is getting sick. Right now it's premature to come to any conclusions about covid-19.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by IFixJura View Post
    Yeah, it's only not premature if you come to the conclusion that it's more deadly than flu: if you say it's less deadly than flu, it's premature; if you say it's more deadly than flu, it's not premature. Very interesting, isn't it?
    When you say "...you come to the conclusion..." are you referring to me specifically or people at large? Because if you are referring to me specifically, I haven't come to any conclusions about anything related to covid-19. I think I made that clear when I said "Right now it's premature to come to any conclusions about covid-19." I'm afraid if you're looking for an argument you'll have to see Mr. Barnard, Room 12.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

  8. #18
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Near Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    5,043
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Checking in to see if anyone has seen the effects of COVID-19 yet. Other businesses in the area are feeling the affects of older guests staying home. I have seen a small dip but others have it bad. A friend works at Grand Lux near the ice arena. There was Jersey being retired and the staff was ready. They always get hit after events like that....nope. It was dead. I know you all know it but Im going to say it anyway...train your staff to wash their hands and keep them away from their faces. Can you imagine if your name was in the news for a case of COVID-19? Oh well, stay hydrated and stay well.
    I believe the point of starting this thread was to ask, "Has anyone seen the effects of COVID-19 yet? " As the days go by, we're all seeing how this virus is causing problems in one way or another. Even if (hopefully) none of us get sick, we're all going to feel the "ouch" in some way. I feel bad for the businesses that are going to take a hit because people are opting to stay home.

    Has anyone noticed shortages in things that you wouldn't think of?

    In the café where I work, we have a soda cooler where we stock bottled cold beverages for sale. The manager announced that we have to switch from Coke to Pepsi because there is a shortage of Coke products. The Coca Cola bottling company is having a problem making the soda, because they get the sweeteners from China, especially the artificial sweeteners for the Diet Coke products. When I was at the grocery store yesterday, the Coke section was bare. The Pepsi section was well stocked. I guess it won't be long before that section is wiped out too.

    The UPS driver told me that their business has picked up in the past few weeks. More people are ordering stuff on-line instead of going to the stores.

    I know someone who works in a local Bed & Breakfast, and she said this week instead of people calling to make reservations, they're calling to cancel reservations because they're afraid to travel. Many of the people were supposed to attend a wedding this weekend, but they decided to cancel their plans. The hours for the housekeeping staff for the weekend has been cut in-half, and they're not happy about that. People are feeling the "ouch" in all sorts of ways.

    So, let's get back to the original topic for this thread.

    Are any of you seeing the effects of COVID-19 in your businesses or places that you frequent?

    ~ Rose

  9. #19
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton
    Posts
    3,600
    The bagel stores are seeing a wee dip in business...but it is made up and then some with Uber eats. It is up 35%. Online sales for retail coffee are up 24% to last month. The older people are freaking out here. I watched a guest walk in with blue rubber gloves. The gloves looked like he had worn them for 3 days...and to top it off he consistently was touching his face. SMDH ! I understand most people think this is just people panicking. That being said...how much money was lost with the NBA's decision to suspend the season due to Rudy Gobert of the Jazz testing positive to the virus. They must see something we don't. That being said. I will continue to wash my hands and not touch my face...and avoid NBA players. I should be ok.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by IFixJura View Post
    If your shop is in Chinatown, business usually drops by 50 to 75% (according to local newspaper). If your business is 50 miles away from Chinatown or any Chinese/Asian majority communities, impact is close to zero.
    Really? I don't live in an area with a large asian population. I do live in the NY Metro area but my town has an asian population of about 8%. The asian population in the US overall is 5%. Schools are cancelling classes. People are working from home. I know many independent contractors who are seeing their clients cancel all work. One friend said he has no work for at least a month. I'm guessing that will likely grow to much longer than that. This thing is definitely impacting life here. And it should. We still don't know enough about the virus. Unless testing takes place on a mass scale, I fear things will get worse, maybe much worse, before they get better.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What can be the side effects of bulletproof coffee?
    By Lisa.scottlive in forum Caffeine Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-25-2017, 08:34 PM
  2. effects of pressure on brewing
    By vintageflair in forum Coffee Drinks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM
  3. reverse effects of caffeine
    By brenden in forum Caffeine Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 07:09 AM
  4. effects of coffee for your memory
    By muthe in forum Caffeine Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 07:55 AM
  5. Effects of Caffeine
    By RedBull in forum Caffeine Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 11:37 AM