Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by IFixJura View Post
    Covers you and majority of the people in the world. It's a wave that slowly formulated in the last 20 years called blame game. Whatever happened, people have to find somebody to blame. This somebody is usually a government or government official. And because of this, everybody is trying to be on the "safe"/"cautious" side. This is how a competition starts: to compete for the safest and most cautious. But the problem is there is no such thing as "the safest and most cautious", for every safe and cautious approach, there is always something safer and more cautious. Therefore, nobody can stop this wave until it hits a dead end by itself.
    I'm just seeing your reply to me and don't know how I missed it. So, you are saying that I am playing the "blame game". Where in this thread have I even peripherally blamed anyone or anything for this thing? All I've been saying is that it is too early to really come to conclusions about the virus, whether it be deadly or whether anyone has acted in appropriately. I find your attacks, to be based upon your own narrow and sheltered view of the world. You speak in generalities yet have zero understanding of statistics related to this virus or the flu. Merely stating that 80,000 people died from the flu last year by itself is totally meaningless. You seem to be flying off the handle at nothing. You talk about "competition". There is no competition. That view is typically reserved for people with little education and a chronological age that doesn't go over 15. And your final statement saying that no one can do anything about the virus is also quite indicative of your juvenile perspective on the world. If Rose wants to ban me from this site for this post I'll be ok with that. But your incessant attacks and cavalier sarcasm is totally uncalled for. More to the point, you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

You are right, absurdity is real. You are trying to back off from your own belief now.
    Explain how I am doing that. I'm all ears.

I'd rather talk about effects of COVID-19: where I live, almost none. I have been eating out at Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese restaurants and watching movies in theaters pretty much every weekends and didn't notice any drop of business. They just confirmed one case in the county I live. Let's see how it goes this weekend...
    Wow. You can level accusations at people but when asked to explain yourself, you retreat into your little narrow self absorbed little world. By the way, your little anecdotal observations don't mean a whole lot. As a result. No one cares.

I saw this posted in another unrelated (not coffee) forum and thought is was well written and had some good information. The poster is a pulmonary and critical care physician.

Take this seriously. Extremely seriously.

Actions that seem to extreme now will not seem extreme in two weeks time. Everyone I know in health care is profoundly, profoundly worried. We are weeks if not months behind in testing in the US. Leadership at the upper levels of government has been lacking and we've lost valuable, valuable time.

The question we are asking ourselves right now is not will it be bad, but how bad will it be.

Are we South Korea or are we Italy?

My fear is we are already Italy but are so behind on testing and preventative measures we don't know it. I hope, I pray I am wrong.

This is not the flu as you know it. We have vaccines for the flu (yes the effectiveness varies from year to year but consistently, vaccinated patients don't get as sick when they do get the flu) and we have treatments (tamiflu). Does the flu still cause a lot of mortality, yes. Have we already had a bad flu season in the US, yes.

COVID is profoundly worse than the flu. We dont have a vaccine (12-18 months is optimistic), we don't know what treatments work though many are being tried.

Mortality (case fatality rate) increases dramatically when health care systems are overwhelmed. Northern Italy is affluent, has excellent health are, and more hospital beds and ICU beds per person than we do. Yet they do not have enough ICU beds or mechanical ventilators to care for people. Seriously, doctors there having to choose who to treat because they cannot treat everyone.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...al-bed/607807/

Now is a critical time to try and "flatten the epidemic curve." If we don't successfully do this, some parts of the US will be northern Italy. This is why all you healthy people need to take this extremely, extremely, extremely seriously. Sure, you may be lucky enough to have a mild case. If you are unlucky enough to get COVID I pray that is the case. But others - especially those with advancing age and those with chronic medical conditions - will not be so lucky. They may be your friends, parents, grand parents, etc. If we do not tackle this collectively, we will fail collectively and many, many more people will die.

Is this scary, yes. Preparation is better than panic. I called all my representatives today to advocate for action that will enable us to fight COVID. If you are concerned, I encourage you to do the same. Politicians can do good things, they need to hear their constituents voices to be pushed into action.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

To put this another way, consider this article which is a very detailed look at COVID."With everything thatís happening about the Coronavirus, it might be very hard to make a decision of what to do today. Should you wait for more information? Do something today? What?

Hereís what Iím going to cover in this article, with lots of charts, data and models with plenty of sources:

When youíre done reading the article, this is what youíll take away:

The coronavirus is coming to you.
    Itís coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
    Itís a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
    When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
    Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
    Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
    They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
    The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
    That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

As a politician, community leader or business leader, you have the power and the responsibility to prevent this.

You might have fears today: What if I overreact? Will people laugh at me? Will they be angry at me? Will I look stupid? Wonít it be better to wait for others to take steps first? Will I hurt the economy too much?

But in 2Ė4 weeks, when the entire world is in lockdown, when the few precious days of social distancing you will have enabled will have saved lives, people wonít criticize you anymore: They will thank you for making the right decision.

Super Moderator
    Okay Guys,

It's time to get back to the original question for this thread - which is:

Has anyone seen the effects of COVID-19 yet?

I'm asking you to play nice. No more debating whether or not the virus threat is real. Please !

~ Rose
    Last edited by PinkRose; 03-13-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Yeah, we do have vaccine for flu: but 1/3 of the time it's wrong because nobody can predict 100% which one of the three strains will be dominant next year. Now we already have two strains of coronavirus; as soon as they have a vaccine, there could be 20!

BTW, real data has been available for months: there is ZERO reason to use any imaginary curve!
    Attachment 10553
    I guess the CDC graph is fake according to you. Thanks for the laugh.

As for effects, one of my neighbors said at least a month's worth of work just disappeared as everyone cancelled their jobs. The school in my town is closing. My son's school is not closing......yet. But that could change.

Super Moderator
    Weird thing. This morning we stopped at walmart to try and find soap and what not. The place was packed at 5 am and they were mad! They were yelling at the employees because there wasn't any TP. One lady said why aren't you guys ordering more? Turns out they stocked the shelves at 3 and it was all gone by 4(one whole isle stocked and emptied in an hour). Luckily I was able to get everything on my list with no issue. When I arrived at the roastery, our bagel shop next door was packed! Guess they need the carbs for their TP hunt.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    I am shutting this thread down. I was genuinely curious on how it has affected everyone's business. But it seems the thread can't stay on track. IFixJura...your signiture, I am not worried about the virus. I am proactive and if you do not think this is going to hurt business you are severely mistaken. Billions of dollars are going to be lost. That scares me.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links