Covid-19 - Has seen the effects of COVID-19 yet ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Checking in to see if anyone has seen the effects of COVID-19 yet. Other businesses in the area are feeling the affects of older guests staying home. I have seen a small dip but others have it bad. A friend works at Grand Lux near the ice arena. There was Jersey being retired and the staff was ready. They always get hit after events like that....nope. It was dead. I know you all know it but Im going to say it anyway...train your staff to wash their hands and keep them away from their faces. Can you imagine if your name was in the news for a case of COVID-19? Oh well, stay hydrated and stay well.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Personally, I don't quite grasp the issue. Yes I understand that it is a more viralent form of the flu, but the panick caused is beyond me. I mean, didn't the flu kill 60,000 Americans last year ? What has Corona killed ? Then again, I don't quite grasp sick people having little consideration for others and being out and about while sick.

Back to the subject at hand. I am here in Guatemala and tourism is down. Before I left, I understand that Chinatown was a ghost town as people generally avoided Chinese restaurants for fear of infection. Then again, you see mainland Chinese people walking around with masks on.......most of them useless (not only are they ignorant as to effectiveness of the mask but the affect of the mask).

I scream to myself, "THIS IS CANADA!" This is not a third world country. Stop acting like you are from the third world! End of rant.

professorjames

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]some decrease noted due to people not wanting to be around others. I'm thinking about putting up a sign that says essential oils like oil of oregano will kill COVID-19 and we use it here to see if that will help.[/FONT]

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Personally, I don't quite grasp the issue. Yes I understand that it is a more viralent form of the flu, but the panick caused is beyond me. I mean, didn't the flu kill 60,000 Americans last year ? What has Corona killed ? Then again, I don't quite grasp sick people having little consideration for others and being out and about while sick.

Back to the subject at hand. I am here in Guatemala and tourism is down. Before I left, I understand that Chinatown was a ghost town as people generally avoided Chinese restaurants for fear of infection. Then again, you see mainland Chinese people walking around with masks on.......most of them useless (not only are they ignorant as to effectiveness of the mask but the affect of the mask).

I scream to myself, "THIS IS CANADA!" This is not a third world country. Stop acting like you are from the third world! End of rant.

True that Covid-19 is a more virulent form of the flu. But to compare the number of deaths from the flu to covid-19 is comparing apples to oranges. The flu as we know it has traveled around the globe many times and has been around for years, decades, centuries. This thing, covid-19, is brand spanking new. It hasn't hit everywhere. But judging by how quickly it has traveled and how many people are dying from it, suggests that there is more to be concerned about than just another flu like virus.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I live in Canada and am currently visiting Guatemala.

Ya IFixJura........like the person that died of Corona in California......over 80 with multiple ailments. Headline is that he died from the Corona virus but they guy had one foot in the grave already

aussomesarah

Mar 10, 2020
Tampa, CO
Visit site
This is an interesting look at the data... someone posted it on my FB page today... worth a look ... you decide. Although I know a good friend in Italy on study and she says its a bit freaky.
Nice statistics.

So I have a question. People who got cured - they were cured by some known medicine that could cure all other infected people. Or they survived because of immune system?

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
If a guy had a heart condition, tried to reach and kill a fly, fell and triggered a heart attack and died, do they consider the fly killed him? :images:

Now change the fly to flu: if the flu triggered his heart attack and died, why do they call the flu killed him? You can apply this to Coronavirus too. How many people are actually killed by this virus?

You have a point. However, if the same approach is applied to both, blaming the flu and covid-19 on the person's heart attack, then what difference does it make?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'll throw in my .02 on the subject... IMBHO it's blown way out of proportion in such a short period of time. Yes I assume it's a serious illness for many, but no more serious than tons of other ailments. For many years I've battled debilitating asthma/allergies and due to being on prednisone for serious inflammation daily for years it weakened my immune system. Didn't have a clue at the time, but a little over 1.5 yrs ago I somehow/somewhere inhaled the cryptococcus fungus and it attacked my system in the form of cryptococcal meningitis. THAT (along with other strains of meningitis) is very serious, life threatening and leaves most victims with lifelong side effects that are far worse than something I will definitely claim as being simple/short lived with the coronavirus in mind. Just found out yesterday that the county I grew up in (40 miles south of my current home) has been declared a state of emergency for ONE (yes ONE) documented case of the coronavirus. I mean damn people... wash your hands often, wear a mask if need be, but don't stay home hiding in fear because of a lame virus. With all the serious issues I've had with this strain of meningitis I damn sure won't run from it. Yes I do pay close attention to my surroundings and don't take stupid chances, but with what I've beaten in life I simply refuse to be taken down by this lame/weak virus. Guess my 'rant' is because I get fed up of so much focus being placed on things of this nature, when you have people seriously affected by so many other illnesses that go overlooked quite often.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Then I think the difference is when flu "killed" 80,000 each year, people think it's normal; but when Corona killed 8, it's a big deal...

I think the problem is we can't compare the two at all at this point. The seasonal flu has saturated the planet and the human population. It's everywhere. So, anyone on the planet can be exposed to it. Covid-19 has existed in the human population for all of 2 1/3 months. And it is nowhere near saturation of the human population. It exists thus far only in select countries but much of the planet has yet to be exposed. We won't know the full impact of covid-19 until it has spread everywhere and the full population has been exposed for a full year. Then the raw data on deaths will mean something. What we can conclude however is that this virus is deadly, relative to how many people have been exposed. To compare it to anything is fairly meaningless.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the world of social media and instant messaging.

It is like the police emergency broadcasts (in my home province) that are province wide. My phone ocassionally blows up at 3am for what (to me) is assinine reasons. The phone has an alarm that screeches and then they give you updates all night long. I would understand if it were relevant to the area I live but in all these years, emergency concerns relevant to the area have been few and far between. The emergencies ? Often it is that a child has wandered off, a parent has kidnapped their child.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Yes, people usually scared of something they don't know or doesn't exist the most, that is why we have ghost stories. Even it replaces seasonal flu, it will only kill 80,000 a year in this country. So no big deal.

And if I'm not mistaken, I believe I read that the 80,000 deaths was last year and was an aberration. Worst year on record. But not normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.