Starbusk Caramel Machiatto, new recipe?

jordesign

Jul 3, 2005
Visit site
I am a bit embarassed to admit this here...but I do enjoy the occassional Caramel Machiato. I usaully make them myself at home, but if that's not possible, Starbucks does a pretty good CM...with that said, I have had two in the last three weeks or so that tasted different from the normal CM. They both tasted as if there was a berry syrup or something like that...just curious if anyone else has noticed this? The first time I thought that maybe the milk had been scorched, but I was too far down the road to go back and ask for another...Then the second time, which was at a totally different SB, the same exact flavor...hmmmm.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they hit it with a strong shot of vanilla....its possible they've switched that - I heard they might be switching away from tourani as they weren't given the "deal" they wanted from them...bad news for tourani....

Garbero's

Oct 11, 2004
Portland Oregon
Visit site
You guys do know that what Starbucks is making is not a macchiato right? Its a marketing gimic to sell more lattes' Which is what they are making! A latte with the espresso pored over the top. I think they did this because they cant train their baristas to do latte art, LOL!!! Wow, is Starbucks actually trying to compete with the little guy, haha.

Ps. A macchiato (sorry I am sure I am spelling it wrong but at least I know how to make one.) is a single or double shot served in a demi toss cup with a small amount of foam... depending on the skill/preferance of the barista/coffee house, it may be a dollop on top or poured in like latte art. Thus, the "marked"espresso!

Aliya

Apr 12, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
"Garbero's" is right. The term "macchiato" means "marked" in Italian. The traditional way to prepare this drink is to pull a single or double shot of espresso into a demitasse cup and "mark" it with foam and sometimes a little milk. What Starbucks calls a Caramel Macchiato is actually a Caramel Latte.

When people come into my store and order a Macchiato I have to make sure that they know what they are ordering. This sometimes angers knowledgable customers, because they are like, "Um, yeah we know what a Macchiato is!" But then other customers don't expect espresso, they except the syrupy Starbucks-esque version. Either way, it is annoying. Thanks, Starbucks.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
While Garbero is 100% righjt try selling a real machiatto to any of our clients vs the carmel macchiatto (sp) that starbucks is selling and we'd be laughed at by 99% of those clients...maybe 99.9%. I have 1 customer that ordres 2 shots of espresso with a dollop of half and half foam on top...and she doesn't even realize she's ordering the real deal....

Bea

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
HI I had a CM an a liverpool starbucks on saturday. it tasted of almonds. so sweet i had to leave it :(

Does any one have recipe for the caramel macciatto my local shops dont have leaflet any more

cheers

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
Caffè macchiato
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caffè macchiato (sometimes Espresso macchiato), an Italian beverage, is espresso with a tiny dollop of steamed milk on top. "Macchiato" simply means "marked" or "stained," and in the case of caffè macchiato, this means literally "espresso stained/marked with milk." Traditionally it is made with one shot of espresso, and significantly less milk or milk foam. However, some newer cafes tend to add steamed milk to the espresso in a 1:1 ratio, as well as mixing the milk into the espresso, making it more like a miniature caffè latte.

Another variant of the drink, Latte macchiato, conversely means "milk stained/marked (with espresso)", which involves a higher steamed milk-to-espresso ratio. However, in certain preparations (which differ from place to place), latte macchiato has not much difference in milk-to-espresso ratio when compared to the caffè latte; caffè lattes are normally one-third espresso to two-thirds steamed milk.

The "Caramel macchiato" served by Starbucks is actually a Latte macchiato with vanilla syrup and caramel topping, leading to some confusion.

unit_number_43

May 8, 2006
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up mrbox. People jump at the chance to disprove starbucks in any way possible. I don't see what the big deal is. Starbucks started as a small shop, just like all the other small local shops. They weren't spawned by a media conglomerate or a billionaire...what's the problem?

The Caramel Macchiato recipe has not changed. Sometimes certain stores will get a request for a drink to be made a certain way so often that they unoffically change the recipe. There's a small chance that is what you're running into here. I've heard tales of Starbuck's down south using rasberry in their caramel macchiato's, which is not standard recipe obviously.

bsimret

Mar 22, 2006
Dallas, TX
Visit site
here's the recipe 4 CM

Hey, I think we should give credit to where credit is due. SBUX popularized and educated the masses of this country about coffee and the coffe house atmosphere. It's up to us to further educate our customers as to the true definition & flavor of espresso/machiato/latte/cappucino.

Anyhow here's the recipe for Caramel Machiato

for a Tall cup (12oz)
3squirts of vanilla syrup,
fill w/ steameamed milk
top w/ foam
pour in 1 shot of espresso
and then top it all w/ caramel sauce in a grid pattern

Since I like the flavor of the caramel sauce most, I just buy their sauce and use that on my latte. That way I can make it just as sweet as I like it.

Jug-A-Joe

Jul 23, 2006
Visit site
That is the recipe that Starbucks use. The CM is the only drink I get from SBUX. I haven't been there in a long time, but I was at Barnes the other day and decided to get one. It wasn't sweet at all so went back to the counter and ask them what they gave me. The kid there said it was according to recipe but he added more carmel sauce. I peeked around the corner because I was curious what syrup they were using. They have their own syrups. I think that's why it's so different.

StarBuffs

Sep 26, 2006
Lancaster, Ohio
Visit site
Starbucks

OK do not look down on me, but!!!!

we use Seattle's Best, and were "trained" by starbucks people. I came into this situation, but I take a huge step to make every drink better than they would get anywhere...who doesnt... I would like to see one of my costomers find an actual Seattle's Best store and the compare....we all know the outcome of that!

but this is one of the good things that I have learned from this
12oz- 3/4 oz syrup or 1oz thick sause
16oz- 1oz 1.5
20 - 1.25oz 2oz

making sure that those are actually measured with pumps or shots makes a great difference from my experience...

(and our new shop will be a local roaster!!!!!!!)

BUFF