Flat out - How much did it take to start up?

UtopiaCafe

Aug 30, 2005
Wise, VA
Visit site
I've seen figures thrown around in various threads but I have yet to see one with cold hard figures.

I realize, and understand, that some of you might not like to share this information - however, those of you who do, I feel that it would be very beneficial to the community.

So, basically:

1) How much did it take you to start-up?

2) Did you do a lot of the build-out work yourself or hire contractors?

3) From the day that you gathered your thoughts and sat down to create a business plan, how long was it until you started building? How long from that point until you opened your doors?

- - - - -

If any of the mods feel that there are other good bits of information that should be asked in reference to Start-Up costs feel free to edit my post to add those. Hopefully, if enough people are open to share this info, we can sticky this for those that are looking to start up.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The cheapest I have ever seen done was just a hair shy of $25,000. The espresso machine was purchased new and every thing else was used. The owner did most of the work with the help of friends.

The most expensive was $250,000+, the space was completely void and was built from the ground up, all services had to be ran. When finished it was probably the best looking coffee house I have ever laid eyes on.

The cheapest I have ever heard was for under $5000. Almost everything was either purchased used or donated aka (haul it out and it's yours)! Haven't really talked to the guy lately but I believe he is still in business.

The amount is really up to you!

beefybean

Sep 20, 2005
Austin, TX therabouts
Visit site
There are very many variables to consider. Based on my own planning, I am figuring about 60K, including the buildout costs provided by landlord.

I am entering a plain shell. I pay for AC, utilities from the meter, plumbing, one demise wall, reflective ceiling, signage, interior walls, interior wiring, interior plumbing, paint. Then I install cabinets, counters, equipment, etc..

At about 1200 feet and $17 per foot (negotiated from $15 offer), Landlord will kick in about $20k. Essentially that covers AC, demise wall, floor, utilities - if you're lucky. good thing that Concrete floors are popular in Texas.

You can cost out your equipment, etc. I ahve been told that demise walls run $40 per foot, interior $20 per foot. Plumbing about $10-15k, Electrical the same. Ceiling - unknown. The nice open ceiling concept is actually more expensive, due to the metal spiral ducting required, conduit, and then the painting costs. Dropped reflective ceiling is cheapest, but still in the thousands.

If you get a shell that has much of this, things are cheaper, but then you often won't get the buildout allowance either.

Contractors can give you rates on walls, utilities, etc..

big cost is cabinets / counters and design services. You can spend $10's of thousands here, or be more creative and save a few $$, but you'll need to be careful.

With either method, one good tip I got from a contractor is that all customer facing cabinets should be open shelving. Doors cost the bucks and they won't be seen anyway. Another tip from installing my own kitchen, when you put an appliance under the counter, you don't need a cabinet there. At $100-200 per foot on cabinetry, consider that a discount when deciding whether or not to add an additional frige, or other piece of under counter equipment. I decided to put in a ice bar, a small unit with speed rails and an ice holder. Eliminates a couple of feet of cabinet and counter, but is really efficient for smoothie / frozen drink prep/ ice.

good luck.

Charlie

vivsachdeva

Sep 22, 2005
Visit site
INDIA IS BIG MARKET

India is big market for COFFEE and COFFEE franchise chains are coming up rapidly. The existing ones are Barista , Cafe COFFEE DAY and Cafe Mocha.

Vivek Sachdeva

Six Shooter

Sep 22, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
UtopiaCafe said:
1) How much did it take you to start-up?

We are planning on $75K for a drive-thru kiosk.

UtopiaCafe said:
2) Did you do a lot of the build-out work yourself or hire contractors?

The site preperation will be done by a contractor, and the building manufacturer will be installing the building. It will be received with completed exterior and painted interior.

UtopiaCafe said:
3) From the day that you gathered your thoughts and sat down to create a business plan, how long was it until you started building? How long from that point until you opened your doors?

I'll let you know. At this point we have the business plan, capital is in the works, as is the site negotiations. We have the set-up of the interior designed and the building fabricator is just waiting for us to pull the trigger on the order. Permits will be the biggest hassle and longest wait.

Hope this helps.[/quote]