Author wants to hear your Starbucks experiences

starbucksstories

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
We're writing a book about Starbucks and would like to hear about your experiences at Starbucks. It's a business book about what Starbucks does right. If we use your experience in the book, we'll send you a copy of the book, give you credit in the book (with your permission), and send you a $25 Starbucks gift card. Email any questions or your stories to me. Thanks!

This is what Starbucks does right. They have tapped into three of the most powerful consumer drivers: fat, sugar and caffeine. If you think about it, there is no physiological reason to drink espresso. There is more caffeine in Folgers, the quantity of espresso is so small that it cannot quench thirst. Normally, people interpret this that espresso is about the experience. That may be part of it, but it is nothing compared to the power of fat and sugar.

Starbucks sells more milk by volume than coffee. Behold the power of cheese.

If you go to the Starbucks site and look up the nutritional information of their espresso based drinks, you'll see stuff that makes McDonalds look like health food. No kidding. Toffee Nut Latte 420 calories.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutriti ... category=1

It is absolute genius. Prey on consumers weakness for fat and sugar, but hide it in a secret language where tall = small. I am in awe.

And no, weeping facial piercings don't quicken my appetite for a great coffee.

All that said, this week I do have a bag of Starbucks espresso blend in my grinder at home. The crema is good. It is nicely balanced and has some nice sweetness from the Indonesian, but it is stale. There is a 9 month sell by window on the packaging (compare to 30 days at Peets) - not surprising because they move it through both Kraft and supermarkets. They have built such a powerful brand that the coffee does not need to be fresh or taste good. Absolutely brilliant.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Javahill you are 100% correct on that. Plus they are a marketing superstar, with some of the best name recognition in the world. Not only do they have their fingers in the cookie jar but they have their hand in the your wallet. They have invested in about every major business to make their own succeed. And in doing so I believe over time as they have grown they have really lost their way.

This is one of the biggest problems when some business gets too big. In order to meet the demand you must sacrifice quality for quantity. Years ago I liked their coffee but now it stale and or over roasted. The cold drinks they come out with are horrible, and the merchandise they put their name on can sometimes be cheap with an even worse life expectancy!

Now as they push for speed and efficiency, they are dumping the traditional machine and an art form that went with it for a super auto that a monkey could use. It’s too bad they feel no longer obligated to push for the best product available. I understand the use for a super auto in a drive through or noncoffeehouse setting, but to make a push to put them in all of your coffeehouse’s…it doesn’t make sense.