My ideas and your thoughts

traylor1

Oct 9, 2005
Visit site
I am a 12 year teacher, ready to switch careers. I have wanted to have a coffee shop for quite a while. This year I have had it with all of the "extra" things we are having to do, that has nothing to do with teaching. So now, I am really eager to start my own business. So I am starting to put my plan together.

We live in a suburb that is growing by leaps and bounds. It was a rural community until the past ten years. Now it is a very good size community, but largely residential. However, the main street going from our town, into the city is starting to have commercial development. A hospital has just started being constructed and there is a lot of talk about the area being a commercial area for our community.

I feel this would be a good FUTURE location because there is already a lot of traffic on this street, even though there is no commercial development started yet.

Our idea for a business is a Gift shop with a coffee shop in the back and a drive through window. I know our community had a gift shop like what we are thinking of, but they closed down a couple of years ago for health reasons. The community supported them greatly. But, we are not sure if we should start out with the coffee shop and add the gifts later on, or else do it all at one time.

Also, financing is a concern for me. We have very good credit. But for the 11 years prior to last year, we taught/lived in a lower income community. We never made lots of money, but have just started this year getting good pay. As a result, we have not been able to save money like we want to. Some people have told me, "I have known people who can get an SBA even though they are flat broke". But I also read it is difficult to get a SBA loan.

Like I said, I am in the early planning stages. If I could have my wish, I would be opening up in June right when school gets out. Realistically, I doubt that will happen. But anyway, I wanted to see how flawed all of my thinking is. I put it out here for you all to read, chew up and spit back at me. Just be nice about it OK? :)

Thanks for your help in advance. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Randy