A favor

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am asking a favor of every coffee shop employee and manager. Please taste the coffee before you serve it. I went to a coffee shop this weekend......I ordered a house blend...took one sip and made a face...the manager asked if everything was alright. I pulled her aside to explain that I thought their filter leading to there machine had probably gone bad, for the coffee tasted as if it had been run through a rubber hose. She tasted it and made the same face I did...she then tried to explain to me it was probably the coffee and not the water... saying,"we have a filtration system" I really did not care at that point ...she gave me another cup and apologised...I tasted it and had to throw it out. So please taste the coffee before you serve it.
Thank you,
Topher

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You know I had a call to fix a problem like that once. The coffeehouse had actually used a 3/4" garden hose to fix a broken water line they had run to the coffee bar. So maybe just maybe you ran in to another one of those types!

At least she gave you another glass to try (wasn’t that thoughtful :grin:). What gets my goat is when they tell you that the coffee is supposed to have all those grounds floating in your glass. Some how the grounds in the glass make the coffee taste better!

beans

May 28, 2004
Visit site
I ran into a similar problem due to the water temperature in my brewer. It was not hot enough so the coffee was weak and luke warm. I drink it black, so I tasted it and it seemed fine and the temp seemd ok. After selling many cups, but nobody complaining (which really worries me), my wife made a cup and added milk. When she told me how bad it was, I kept brewing more airpots and using more coffee to try to compensate. A very good lesson was learned.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Good job on making them taste test their own product. This should be a requirement for all baristas. Nothing is worse then being served by someone who doesn't even drink the finished product.

susansaddiction

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
nasty coffee

I serve a flavored coffee everyday - and the same one each day as when I've tried to switch, my regulars complain. The problem is is that I think it taste very bitter! But, I have so many regulars who love it that I feel as if I can't switch. Any suggestions?
Susan

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
I think it should be policy for every shop that cares about quality to taste their coffee first thing before opening.
I make my barista taste the espresso when setting the grind, that way you set the grind to taste, not look of the pour. We have 3 grinders for espresso, 1 blend 2 origins, at first it was a chore but his love for espresso has grown. When he started he would pull a shot and ask me if I thought it needed to be courser/finer. But now he can tell himself and sometimes will call me over to taste a shot if he thinks it is mindblowing.