Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

?????

nzroaster - is thetopic you posted relevant to thread subject of:

Difficulties in ownibg your own shop?

We opened our coffee shop one month ago. The location is excelent. People start to come in , but still as one of the other answers say, income is not yet good.... We are in Romania, people drink espresso all the time, it is so difficult to make them taste other kind of coffees. We are the only coffee shop that gives coffee to go in our city, but people do not want to walk with a coffee. We have a bus station near by and would be perfect in these winter days to heat up with a great latte in your hands.... These negatives do not appear in a coffee cultured country thoug,h so maybe my comment has no value to you, but i needed to share some of our negatives. Others: it is scary, you ask yourself one day why the heck did I do this, and the other day: why didn t I do this earlier?

TAZA CAFE

WABASH coffee, Houston, TX

i am getting ready to open my first coffee bar as well, maybe within the next month. i think the hardest thing for me is the risk you take in signing a five year contract when you've never ran a coffee business and knowing that you could be stuck with a sucky business for that long. any comments on that? oh yeah, and for people who said that you need a heavy volume of customers, how heavy is a good volume? how many customers in a 16 hour work day?

Happy Customers

that drive up and say did you hear about the new Starbucks opening down the street....yeah this has happened 3x to us in 15 months with different Starbucks.

... i love you but...

Often, dealing with the Starbucks-educated general public. Thats the hard part. Oh-how-I-love my neighborhood, my customers. Sometimes, though you hear the same line over and over... and it becomes a little hard not to laugh at 'em. But then again.... not everyone should know way too much about coffee as most here do. However, here's my favorite examples, heard much too often:

"oh my god, is there supposed to be coffee in this caffe mocha? Cuz it tastes like coffee and i don't like it. Did you, like, put coffee syrup in here or something?"

"can i just have a regular"-cust
    "a medium?"-me
    "no, a regular"-cust.
    "oh, ok, a small"-me
    "no, just a regular cup"-cust.
    "in-house? ceramic?" -me
    "i dunno, just, you know, whatever"-cust.

{Big Huge Sign right in front of them saying "COFFEE. JUST COFFEE. BREWED FRESH." complete with size, price, ect. }
    Annoyed: Do you have a cup of just coffee? Why do all these places make it soooo confusing!

OMG, who said that they read their employees blog???

The first thing that came to my mind was the long hours.....long LONG hours.....I'm still adjusting.

Dealing with snobby customers. I had one the other day from SLC and boy was she bad. "I'd like a 7 shot latte with 7 oz of vanilla please". I make it. She says it tastes like mud. She wants more flavoring and some half&half. Now it's acceptable but she informs me during the process of fixing her drink that Starbucks makes it right for her everytime and she doesn't know if I've ever heard of Starbucks but they're the REAL coffee makers and the ones that started it all.

I'm screaming inside, going "lady, I'm well traveled and lived and drank coffee extensively in europe. I know Starbucks and I know good coffee, now shut up!"

I just kept smiling and trying to make it right for her.

Excellent thread

This is an excellent thread for anyone like me considering taking the plunge. I created a business plan for a drive thru and then realized that there is a lot more involved then throwing around some numbers and ideas. Thank you for showing us the real problems that you experience with equipment and personnel.

Owning Your Own

Yes, it's difficult some days owning your own coffee house, but I think of the alternative (Corp. America) and I want to throw up.

There has only been one day in the last 19 months when my husband and I first started that I made the wrong choice in going into the coffee biz. The hours are relentless, you have to defend your product, (due to lack of education by the consumer) etc...

But at the end of the day, I don't have anyone telling me what, when, why and how and oh btw, can I have the done before 5:00 pm

When I have customers tell me that we make the best coffee in town, that's what it is all about... and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks

shop till you drop

For me the biggest killer in owning your own shop is that I never got to work the couter. I had this romantic idea of myself sitting there serving my regulars like family but the reality is I spent most of my time dealing with suppliers, getting repairs done, fighting with the city over zoning and helath inspections, etc.
    I've read alot of complaints about employees on this thread. If you are having such a problem then get rid of them or offer a passable wage that will allow you to RETAIN good employees. There are plenty of hard-working baristas out there who would love to work at a shop that shows even a modicrum of respect to them. Invariably they are either underpaid or are treated like children because shop employers are used to having more or less worthless employees. There is a local shop here that offers 401K, health insurance , etc. They have had the same staff for over 4 years now which is unheard of. The shops take-in and customer loyalty are though the roof. You can talk bottom line all you like but if the customer does not have a hapy experience its all for nothing because they never return. Happy employees make happy customers.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

ONE MONTH OLD HERE SERVING TULLY'S COFFEE, GREAT LOCATION NEAR BUS STOPS, 1 BLOCK CITY COLLEGE OF SAN FRANCISCO, A LOT OF DRIVE BY TRAFFIC, AND LOCAL BUSINESSES, NO STARBUCKS FOR 3 MILES

1. AS THE OWNER YOU ARE PROBABLY THE BEST AT EVERY AVENUE OF YOUR BUSINESS, EVERYTHING FROM MAKING ESPRESSO DRINKS, BEING PERSONABLE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, MANAGING WASTE, MANAGING PROMOTIONS, PEAK HOURS, TIME MANAGEMENT ECT ECT, BUT YOU CAN'T BE EVERYWHERE AT THE SAME TIME. SO THERE WILL ALWAYS BE AREAS THAT SUFFER

2. I OPENED THIS MARCH 1ST AND SAN FRANCISCO SET A RECORD FOR THE MOST RAIN IN A MARCH IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED WEATHER HISTORY OF SAN FRANCISCO 26 DAYS OUT OF 31

3. NOT KNOWING HOW MUCH LOSS IS TOO MUCH LOSS. I LOST $2000 IN MONTH 1 BUT IM NOT SURE IS THAT REASONABLE OR NOT. I FIGURE THAT WE STILL HAVE ON HAND 1500 IN INVENTORY SO 500 IS REALLY LOSS NOT INCLUDING NOT PAYING MYSELF. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE THE RAIN REALLY FACTORED IN 30%? 40%?

4. 14 HOUR WORK DAYS 7 DAYS A WEEK

5. MIND NEVER STOPS THINKING, NEVER....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links