Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    What if there were no equipment costs and no permits or building alterations (venting, safety, gas lines, ducting, etc.) needed?
    Wow, that would be a perfect world. Unless you plan to build all of the equipment yourself and even then you will still have costs. Tell me why would you not want to put in the safety factors? It is for your own protection in addition to everything around you. I would advise that if you plan to build a roasting facility that you do it correctly or don't do it at all. Saving costs is one thing but skimping on safety is not an issue to take lightly. Roasting coffee commercially is not the same as home roasting where you may roast one or two pounds at a time. It's a little more involved than that and the safety issues can not be stressed enough.
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Who said skimp on safety? What if it weren't necessary? I'm trying to figure out if the traditional costs of roasting on site were eliminated, would it then be worth it? Seems to me to be a no-brainer. The freshness factor goes without argument. So, say someone GAVE me a machine that didn't require venting, had no hot spots (no safety issues) and didn't require any special expertise to use? Just plug it in and roast fresh coffee.

p.s. Actually I'm trying to figure out what that's worth... the difference that is.

Just look for my post about monster/sonofresco....and see how easy it could be.
    If your java tastes bitter: ASK QUESTIONS.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Looks to me like Monster is no longer involved with Sonofresco. They've even air brushed the roaster out of their web site pictures. What's the deal there?

Although Iím not a shop owner I bought a Cafť Roaster from Monster 2 years ago and have been extremely happy with it. Looks like Sonofresco is still selling them, albeit with a different name. I researched the heck out of roasters and, IMHO, if you really want to add roasting to your shop itís got some distinct advantages. First, the initial investment is substantially lower than any other roaster I found. Second, because of its size it is easy to install and use. When you get above 3 pound batches your roaster needs to have smoke arrestors, or so Iíve been told. The Cafť simply needs to be hooded and vented. Also, its footprint is pretty small. Third, because of the batch size you can control your inventory more tightly. Itís not unreasonable to foresee roasting on demand, with customers requesting a certain roast profile and blend. Fourth, itís pretty idiot proof. If an employee can operate a cash register they can operate the Cafť. While the purists out there will say itís not really roasting if anyone can do it, the end product is as good as any Iíve ever had. I donít mean to sound like a commercial, but Iíve been very happy with my Cafť.

Curious what happened between Monster and Sonofresco?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links