Worlds most famous cafe? Or Coffee Shop?....

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
So you are from Sack of Tomatoes uh? :wink: Funny I grew up there. As for the most famous place, it's easy to say Starbucks, since they are known world wide. However, being here in the so called land of coffee, there are a number of places here that might disagree with you. It all depends on what you are looking for when visiting a coffee establishment. There are a number of queint places that many enjoy other than chain shops.

Lloyds of London started as a coffee house. True, S'bucks has a lot more outlets, but not the multi-generational life.

The New York Stock Exchange also started as a coffee house. While not famous as a coffee house, it certainly is more famous, has mode more money and facilitated more progress in the world than Howie's flash in the pan.

But you know, you need to turn to Italy, Austria and Turkey to find the coffee houses that are the most famous in the world, not merely the most popular. Caffe Florian in Piazza San Marco, opened in 1720. It is still open for business today.

Besides, Starbucks if you measure it by liquid volume is a milk house, not a coffee house. I figured this out after hearing that in blind taste tests, Maxwell House beats Starbucks (and now 8 O'clock is using this in their ads) - Starbucks is not about the coffee. It isn't about the 3rd place either. If you look at the nutrition info on their web site, look at the calories and grams of fat. There are several drinks over 500 calories. The genius of Starbucks is that it is a stealth delivery system for fat and sugar. The coffee just isn't that good and we're not genetically programmed to like it. Fat and sugar however.... behold the power of cheese.

SactoMike

May 24, 2006
Elk Grove, CA
Visit site
Coffee Guy, what part of Sacto are you from? In Sac, Java City would be the java/coffee mecca. Or at least the Genesis of Sacto Coffee Houses. I don't think the first Starbucks came to town until the mid 90's at Fulton and Marconi.
I frequent a Starbucks near my work on Alhambra Blvd. Very cool place and would be a good establishment with or without the Starbucks Corporation.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Mike:

I graduated from Kennedy High School (Go Cougars) in Green Haven. I won't say what year I graduated, but it was a few years back :D I used to live in an area known as the "Gardens" South Sac. I don't know if you are familiar with that area. Used to be the tough part of town. In fact I was there last year for a family reunion. Boy how the place has changed. In fact I used to work as campus security at Encino High School off Bell & Howell. Don't know if they are still there or not. It's been quite a while... 8)

SactoMike

May 24, 2006
Elk Grove, CA
Visit site
JFK?....

Coffee Guy,
I had one neice graduate from JFK on Gloria Drive!! I went to River City HS in West Sac. (Now that was ghetto). What year did you graduate from Kennedy? I had friends that went to JFK, McClatchy, Christian Brothers, Sac Hi, etc.
I didn't know anybody that went to Encina, but my school played them in sports. That school was similar to ours to say the least.
Back to coffee, I do like Starbucks coffee, but I try to avoid the hi calorie drinks, since I don't want to weigh 300 lbs. :grin: I like Java City espresso, and Coffee Works on 33rd and Folsom will wake the dead. :-D
Did you go to college in Sac? At Sac City, Metro Espresso was the only game in town on 11th Ave., before Java City moved on Campus. ARC had a Java City nearby on Madsion near College Oak, and CSU Sacramento now has 2 java citys on campus and several Starbucks surrounding the campus on J St and Folsom Blvd. (near 65th).

--Sacto Mike

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Mike:

Let's just say I did not graduate in the 00's, 90's or the 80's. This should give you a clue :D I graduated from CRC (Consumnes River College) & was on the speech team. In fact we were 2 time national champs. Boy those were the days. Then Uncle Sam came a' callin, then spent 16 years in the canoe club (Navy for those who don't know the lingo). Went back to college in San Diego graduated from National University with my degree in Business Admin/Marketing....Worked in the entertainment field (on-air) for a number of years, moved on to corporate America for a number of years, and now winding down life in the coffee industry. There, you have my entire life's story in one breath... :wink:

Yeah, I noticed Java City when I was down there, I also saw a few places of theirs spread out in a few locations. I did try their coffee, but wasn't impressed. Not sure if the baristas just didn't serve it properly or the coffee just didn't stand up. I will tell you though, I did mention to the barista how to make my drink and adjusting the grind. Sorry, I had to do that, but I am in the industry. And I only did it to offer her a little help, and I did not let her know who I was. I think she was thankful for my help, and I gave her a nice tip for her good customer service. :grin:

SactoMike

May 24, 2006
Elk Grove, CA
Visit site
CRC?....

C.G.,
You won't recognize CRC nowadays. Your definitely old school compared to me, but at least I was born before CRC became a campus (1970)....
That's cool that you finished up at National. I'm attempting to finish up a DL B.S. at CSU Long Beach. Long story with 2 AA degrees, 100+ units, CSUS 2 time dropout, and a USAF Veteran to top it off.
Java City has expanded to be the "official" coffee of the Kings, River Cats, CSUS, and most colleges in the area.
Let me know what shop you own/manage/operate in Seattle. I need to make a trip to the Northwest. The closest I plan on getting to Seattle this year is Portland.

--Mike