Good Seattle Area Coffee Houses

3ternal

Mar 22, 2007
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Out of your experiences, what coffee houses have truly stood out in atmosphere, quality, consistancy, and service in the Seattle area? In my experience having gone through a good 10-15 coffee houses in the area, Cafe Umbria and Zeitgeist Coffee have truly stood out. Good experienced staff, and a nice amount of Latte art. All-City coffee does have a great drip though. What are your opinions?

KennyMike

Mar 5, 2007
Texas
Visit site
I would love to hear more opinions about Zoka...
I'm looking at pairing up with them as my roaster...
I met them at the Dallas Fresh Cup Road Show...
And have been to their 2 day barista training class there in Seattle...
So far...
I like what they have to offer...

Kenny

latinboy1976

Mar 24, 2007
Seattle
Visit site
Taste wise I'd go with either Zoka which has yummy drip and espresso or Vivace. I'd stay away from Victrola. I've been there twice and have been unimpressed with service and coffee. Although they do have the ambiance down which is nice but some place doesn't have all three down forget it.

bmusse

Jul 22, 2007
seattle
Visit site
yeah, vivace is awesome its on the hill(capital) probably the most easy to find as long as you know where capital hill is. i think they just opened a new shop too, haven''t been there though.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey JP:

I read your article. Nice :lol: . Have you every had an opportunity to visit any of the independent drive thru espresso places? I would be interested in getting your take on those as well. Not to mention having some photos too.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Well I beg to differ :shock: If you went to the right place they may change your mind. True enough you might not be able to sit and enjoy the pictures on the wall and sip your drink with your pinky sticking out, but I know of a place where this drive thru will give some of the sit downs a run for their money :D

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Giving "the sit downs a run for their money" doesn't mean much, most sit downs serve swill.
So it depends who you're comparing it to.

The problem with drive thru, is their focus is speed, efficiency, volume and while many do take the time to learn how to pull an excellent shot, their focus is not on the coffee. The result of the drive thru is:

1) people who are going somewhere, whether it's driving or walking are focused on going somewhere, there focus is not on the coffee, they are not there to enjoy that cup of coffee, latte, etc. They are there to enjoy a cup of coffee, latte, what-have-you.

2) The tiny hole in the plastic lid does not allow for the aromatics to come through and that is a vital part of the taste of the coffee, as much taste begins with smell.

3) The tiny hole does not allow for the coffee to properly coat your tongue, it only comes out in a tiny flow pattern as compared to the larger, wider pattern from a proper ceramic cup.

4) The paper adds a slight off taste and you lose a majority of the mouthfeel you would have had given the same drink in a ceramic cup.

5) Drive thru not capable of serving espresso, macchiatto, con panna, or cappuccino--and that's those are the drinks that reflect your quality. It's easy to try to hide mistakes inside a latte, but an espresso never lies.

6) You can't sit and enjoy your drink.

7) There's no love in a paper cup.