Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Paper Cups, China, or both?

I was planning on doing china for in store customers and paper for the take out customers, but then I met someone who just does paper. And then I thoughts about Starwhatever and they only do paper. What are your thoughts?
    AJPratt
    Pratt's Hill of Beans

"Don't laugh at the coffee. Someday you may be old and weak, too."

I was curious about this too.... Cost wise is it more efficient to serve all paper cups than have to wash china, breakage, etc. On the other hand are in store customers more satisfied with china and more likely to return?

Any views on this out there?

To be honest, the paper cups seems as if the customer isn't welcome.
    The china gives the customer a relaxing feeling, and a welcome feeling.

The point of glass/china/porcelain/etc..
    well it's just all about etiquette mate.

-matt

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaks
    I was curious about this too.... Cost wise is it more efficient to serve all paper cups than have to wash china, breakage, etc. On the other hand are in store customers more satisfied with china and more likely to return?

Any views on this out there?
    I was think the same thing.

I have been in a lot of shops where there is nothing but paper. When I asked why the reply was simply that the cost of breakage was to high for the amount of coffee that was sold. They said if they could add another 25 - 50 drinks a day they would probably go back to using china.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Ceramic - in house, Paper -- to go.
    If you're in upscale metro/urban area, I would be bold and do ceramic only, no to go.

Paper due to breakage is BS. In 2 years 8 months we've broken a total of 5 cups, 3 dishes. Paper in house says, "It's not about the coffee, and please leave--soon!"
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

There are a lot of coffeehouse's I service where the profit margin is very slim. They are still in business for the love of it. Quite a few are in very small towns with populations with less the 3000 people. Breakage is a very real thing.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

I prefer ceramic, most of the staying customers prefer ceramic. But we do a larger percentage of to go business. So we have both.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Paper is great for take out, but I drink my coffee in ceramic whenever possible, if it's a cappacinno or straight esspresso, I refuse to drink it in paper.
    Life: cloudy days, coffee shops, the smell and feel of summer rain,
    abstract, rhythm, human synchronicity,
    quiet times, unexpected smiles.....

We use paper to go and ceramic in house. Just watch the cost on the ceramic, we went fairly high end and the pricing has gone up. I am now looking at close to $ 20.00 per cup & saucer for replacements. Also depending on your area, some people will steal them.

paper vs ceramic cups

I recently opened my espresso bar and we offer both ceramic and paper. I had mugs made with my logo on them for both in-store use and for retail sales. I think people who are looking for cafes that differentiate themselves from ****bucks tend to like having ceramic in the indie shops. It shows we have a sense of stye and welcome them to hang out for awhile.

For this same reason I carefully chose comfortable seating and relaxing music. I think setting an atmosphere is almost as important as the quality of the drinks themselves. If there is any competition in an area, the shops with the best "feeling" will win more regulars than those without, even if the prices are a little higher. My drinks are more expensive than major chains and I offer a superior coffee shop experience that includes ceramic plates for my baked-in-house pastries and ceramic mugs and demis for my beverages. I also have 16 oz glass tumblers that are personalized. Yes, there are losses due to theft and breakage. But remember that even if someone steals one, it has become another marketing tool at work for you somewhere! (:
    Make sure you decide for yourself and don't just follow the local trend. You might become different in some good ways that help you succeed.
    Do it Today. Tomorrow it will be illegal.
    (caffeine)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links