Daily sales

nemoscoffee

Jul 24, 2007
Colorado
Visit site
[quote:69e8ed8a9c=\"CoffeeQban\"]I''ve heard Starbucks average about 3K per day. What can a typical independant with a good location expect to do.[/quote:69e8ed8a9c]

My wife was a manager for Sbucks for several years. She worked in a slow store that did $8k per week, and worked in other drive thru stores that did $30k per week.

We have been open for three months and are averaging $600 per day. We need to get to $1100 per day, or about $6000 per week to make enough to pay our bills at home...

The potential can be all over the place, depending on location, accessibility, product quality, coffee shop experience, etc...

Good luck!
JD

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Sales per day are not necessarily an indication of a successfully run business... it's what's left over at the end of the day that counts. Remember that the airlines take in several billion dollars per year and several are not meeting their costs (losing money).

Prepare a system of success based on a small income, and when it escalates you will be way ahead of the game.

CoffeeQban

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
?

John,

Do you ever answer the question asked. If you don't have an answer then just say so. I asked what typical sales were, not profit. I understand that profit is not a gaurantee of higher sales although when all things are equal the guy with better sales makes better profit.

The question was about top line sales. I haven't really been able to find any resources indicating how independants compare to the cahins and I was just curious.

Thanks anyways.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Qban,

Sorry for my answer, but as a pretty good rule those who start fixating on sales at this stage of the game generally miss the larger picture.

Top sales? Look at Intelligentsia, Stumptown, and Caffe Artigiano for starters. Last time anyone made mention, Stumptown was going through 100# of espresso per week in their couple of stores, this doesn't count any coffee sales, whole bean sales, etc,. In terms of dollars, extrapolate and do the math, or call up Duane or Stephen Vick and ask for a ballpark figure. They're all pretty straightfoward guys. And remember these independents, or even Jack Groot over at JP's coffee in Michigan, have been around 10+, 15+, even 18 years and it took time to build their great sales machine.

I've listened to Doug Zell talk about Intelligentsia and despite their 300+ wholesale accounts and couple of locations in Chicago, it wasn't until the past couple of years they were making any serious money. But sales... plenty of that... they just choose to invest a very substantial amount back into their company, into pushing the envelope by sourcing phenomenal beans, helping sustainability, providing exceptional training for their barista, etc. And all top tier independents do this sort of thing... this is why there are only a handful of them, because most owners want to make money 'right now' and forget it's a long term thing, and that it should above all else be about the coffee.