2 machines instead of one?

superfly

Apr 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and am looking into opening a coffee shop. I'm in the early stages of research and had a couple of questions.

Start up costs: how much should I have? Is $100K enough to open a nice looking shop? I'm aiming for more of the franchise quality look versus a mom and pop shop look.

Also do you think it's better to have 2 espresso machines instead of one in case one breaks down? My fear is the machine will not work one day which can be disastrous obviously if your main business is all about providing espress drinks to your customers. I was thinking of buying two 2 group head machines instead of one 3 group head.

Thanks for the help!!

Ripstar

Apr 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
i am also planning to open a Coffee shop and will be keen to learn as much as i can from the good people here.

i dont know a whole lot about coffee but i know about business and service. the next 6 months will be all about learning... i will spend time here, reading books and gaining experience in a Coffee shop (i am working 1 day a week for 0 pay!).

any tips you guys might have to get me started on what u think makes a great coffee shop would be awesome.

cheers fellas :wink:

Good luck Rip!.... You should join up with the SCAA as a prov member. I think its only $10 and gives you access to a lot of their resources. Of course you should probably join up with the AASCA also. They have an active bulletin board and you can probably learn a thing or two from that. If you have any questions fire away... I know everyone here likes to help out if they can.

Ripstar

Apr 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
thanks for the tips Al :wink: ... much appreciated! i do hope however that luck plays a minor role and that i have all bases covered when it all begins (j/k - i know what ya meant :wink: ).

i gues my first question is ... does anyone have an Operations Manual for a Coffee Shop? it would really save me some time and eliminate the mistakes i am likely to make. i mean, i am very thorough although up until this point my only experience with coffee is drinking it (and drinking it... and drinking it...).

i do have some info resources and im gaining detailed experience from the other side, but you can never learn too much and take enough info (right ppl?).

thanks ppl

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Well Rip:

I agree with both Alun_evans and Espresso-Outfitters. I'd also add to that build your finances. Because above all if you don't have the dough, you can't go :grin: ...Also during the time you are working at this coffee shop ask the owner as much as you can about the operations, i.e., how to set up the business, dealing with the employees, menu selection, etc. Reading books is okay, but nothing subsititues for actual OJT. That's why it's good you've taken the first step of learning and observing from an existing business owner. I hope you are at least working for tips :p

And Superfly...as Espresso-Outfitters says its always best to have a back up and to also be flexible enough do do events off site. That is one part of the business that cafes over look a lot of the time. But be ready to be twice as busy if things take off.

A note to the both of you, once you are ready to look into getting the coffee, advanced training, etc.visit our site at www.seattlegourmetcoffee.com. While you are there print out our free catalog.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
The place I was before here started with a 4 group machine...that shop pumped out some volume lets just say record day was well over $15,000..the 2 years that machine was there before me it was poorly maintained...hardly ever backflused..after 3 years of abuse it was tired so they decided to get new machines. I suggested two 2 group machines. I did this for 2 reasons...one if one broke down you had a back up...the best thing about it though was you could have 2 baristas working at once..yes if you have 2 baristas on a 4 group it can get cramped....but when you split up the machines it is sick what you can produce!