checking a milk steaming thermometer temp?

Miss Java

Feb 13, 2007
Washington
Visit site
I'm wondering how you would check the temp. on the small clip on milk steaming thermometers? I've had complaints from customers that we are not getting our drinks hot enough, but we are steaming the milk to 150 (stopping at 150, it heats to about 160-165) according to our thermometers but one good customer (a former coffee stand owner) told me that they seemed more like 120. We keep our thermometers clipped to the pitchers, keeping both in the fridge between drinks. I've heard owners say that they store their thermometers in ice water.. does this make any difference?

:?:

thanks!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Make sure your thermometers are calibrated properly at least once a week.
You may need one digital thermometer to calibrate them with.

For the future though, get used to feeling the side of the pitcher as you steam and you will quickly learn what 155 feels like. It usually takes most people a few times and you should be spot on. Your milk will texture easier without the thermometer interrupting the whirlpooling of the milk.

Back2theGrind

Sep 16, 2007
Visit site
Calibrating Thermometers

Hi there!
The best way to calibrate your thermometers are to, first and foremost, have a digital thermometer onhand.

Next, fill a pitcher with ice, add cold water, and more ice, until there it is an ice mixture w/ water...but NO Air Bubbles.

Submerge your digital thermometer into the iced water and allow it to come to full temp.

Do the same with the thermometer you wish to calibrate.
Wait 1 full minute.

If the digital thermometer and your thermometer do not read the same...
Using a pair of plyers, grasp the nut behind the face of your thermometer (keeping it submerged in the water), turn the face of your thermometer until it matches your digital reading (usually 32 degrees F).

Submerge thermometer back into the ice bath, and check temp.

Repeat if necessary.

Contrary to anything someone might tell you, the ice water method is the most accurate way to calibrate your thermometers.
Hot water cools, and room temp. calibrations vary with environment.
Hope this was helpful.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
So who calibrated the digital thermometer that your assuming is 100 percent accurate?

I'm not trying to be rude but I've seen digital thermometers off to. Thermocouples and thermistors do go bad.