Starbucks- Yay or Nay?

Starbucks- Yay or Nay?

• Total voters

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Once a year...desperate..usually the airport. Hate the place otherwise (unless they're clearing out Seaco Barista's for $99 again..I'm all over that!).

akoe101

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I went there with my friend and his dad a few days ago and my friend ordered a venti hazelnut machiotto (i think thats how you spell it), they gave him a grande, so he told them they got the order wrong, and the fixed it. When they returned his drink, they also gave him a fancy little card saying the next time he visited, a coffee was on them. I thought "so the employees have a hard time with the orders so often they made special cards to hand out when they mess up??"
And i wanted to share that i really love the chai lattes

rudyy

Mar 24, 2011
imperial valley
Visit site
living in what the new york times once called a *one starbucks town* it is the best option. while there are other coffee sellers, they mostly deal with the kind of stuff you find all too often in offices. starbucks' coffee at least smells good upon cracking open its packages of beans.
today we are a five starbucks community covering an area 20 miles long (four small communities).
there is one place about 15 miles north of where i live, whose owner says he can get fairly fresh roasted coffee beans from san diego, but of course there seems to be the expectation that one is going to buy in bulk, and just how much coffee can a single guy drink, anyway.
besides, how long can coffee beans keep?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I really think Starbucks started out with good intention and did quite a bit to bring specialty coffee to the masses. As we all know once they phased out the hands-on approach and went full auto the human connection was lost. Also, the bastardization of specialty coffee and the idiotic names that goes with their products is just too much to tolerate. Oh yeah, not to mention their charcoal roast approach. The name Charbux is certainly fitting now. They simply got too big for their own good and are slowly but surely biting the dust.

I will gladly put any of the drinks I make against the best they have to offer. Agree or it's free!

CakeyPantsJack

Apr 21, 2003
Toronto Canada
Visit site
Hey Peeps,

Lets keep in mind that Starbucks IS doing things correctly. They buy real coffee beans, they try to get Fair Trade beans, they DO grind the stuff fresh most of the time. It's not like the beans they buy are poor quality.

I have tried a huge load of beans from just about anybody that sells em in a bag. Firstly, freshly ground beans taste better then pre-ground and secondly they bean quality/freshness varies quite a lot.

Starbucks beans are of the good variety, and perhaps their roasting method is what separates they flavour from other bean flavours.

Price wise, at least hear in Toronto, they are from $0.20 to $0.60 more for a cup of coffee compared to local coffee places. That is for a regular cup of coffee, be it Pikes Place or their Bold pick of the week.

While I appreciate the fact that as an readily available coffee shop, Starbucks makes a good cup of (strong) coffee, I personally prefer something smoother. Usually I have an Americano.

As for the specialty beverages, I don't see the point. If you are talking coffee, lets talk the beverages that are made with coffee. Starbucks Frappachino's use a special sugary frothing syrup and artificial flavour syrups. While it does contain coffee, it ain't coffee to me.

Try their Regular Coffee, Americano and Latte (coffee and milk).

TOM...

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I literally live across the street from a *$, and have never set foot inside. I was a Peetnik back in the late 80's/90's, but specifically for their 'Top Blend' and 'Major D's'..made some decent spro even with a silly steamtoy (or so I thought). They did away with their Top Blend years ago, and sent me shopping elsewhere. When I visited later, even the Major D's had lost its polish and was flat instead of 'knock you out' punch normally assoc. w Major D's. They had moved to their new Alameda roastery at that point, and the difference was noticeable, and not for the better. Luckily, the third wave was underway, and Ritual, Blue Bottle, and others filled the quality void. :)

rudyy

Mar 24, 2011
imperial valley
Visit site
yes. a grande americano with room. that's pretty good in my book.
i have a maestro plus mill set at 34; i try to not keep the beans too long, and use a chemex coffee maker and filters. i heat bottled water (the water in the imperial valley is not to my taste) and go for it.
of course, i'm on this forum to see what else is out there to satisfy my desire to drink coffee more often.