crimson cup experience

Ruby

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I heard about them from a non-coffeeshop owner who told me they knew someone who used crimson cup to start their coffee shop and I should look into it. I looked them up on this site and all I found was a long thread accusing people (who did look suspicious) of spamming the site to promote crimson cup. Now at the risk of looking like a spammer myself I'm asking if anyone has good or bad experience with this company?

They had a lot of information in their notes section of their facebook page on starting a coffee shop and I found it interesting. They want you to buy their book/plan/package for $60 though and that seems like a big red flag. Anyone want to admit to being suckered into buying the plan and willing to let me buy it from them for cheaper?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I don't think you need a book... just ask/search around on various forums and you will learn alot. I believe there are 2 things most people don't have that are really needed to succeed in coffee or anything else for that matter. One is passion for what's in the cup and the second thing is determination/willingness to learn all you can about the subject. I've met quite a few people that run coffeeshops that don't like coffee in any shape or form. If you don't know what you're serving then it's not the right job for you.

alisa

Jun 19, 2011
UK
Visit site
I heard about them from a non-coffee-shop owner who told me they knew someone who used crimson cup to start their coffee shop......

Last edited:

Ruby

May 24, 2011
Visit site
yeah, thus I'm here seeing if anyone on here as any actual experience with them. I guess I should just look up a few of their locations and see if I can get a hold of an owner that can share if they are happy with their decision to use them or regret it. They've been around for 20 years I think which to me sounds good. I'm not sure how their prices fall in line with the other roaster I've talked with.

On the other hand the more local supplier/roaster looks like he offers a lot of the same things crimson cup offers, just not quite as much in the way of marketing advice and initial set up of the shop.

I think Crimsoncup offered a business plan but I really don't see how that is helpful- they certainly can't do my market analysis which is the biggest part in my mind. My business plan has to be unique to our area, market, etc and someone else's business plan isn't going to make mine write itself.

Debby

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello Ruby! I own a coffee house in Ohio and I have worked with CrimsomCup every step of the way. I opened in October 2009. I found out about Crimson Cup when a friend opened a drive-thru coffee house in Michigan in 2004 and she worked with Crimson Cup, and still does. When I tasted the coffee I was hooked! Plus she was having way to much fun being a Barista! (she is also an accountant). The seven steps to success book is a must have that can answer your questions about the coffee business and what you are getting in to. The CrimsonCup Community is in business to promote the independant coffee house owner, as their success depends on ours.

Ruby

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I talked to a person that works for Crimson Cup and pretty sure it is not for me. I'm updating on here in case anyone else is interested but it sounded like you end up paying them around $30,000 (amount varies depending on what you are setting up I only heard one number but I know he had different packages) and they supply you with your equipment and some start up consulting and help, coffee shop layout, etc and then they are also a supplier of all the coffee/smoothie/blended drinks/etc.

I'm not saying it is horrible- I'm sure that what they offer serves the needs of some people just starting out but it isn't for me. You can just order their products without signing a contract but there prices seemed about the same as everyone else.

dawn

Nov 30, 2013
ohio
Visit site
Re: Crimson Cup...We here in Sylvania, OH are so happy now to have a great selection of maybe 20 to 30 blends of Crimson available at Sautter's Food Center. One of my favorites is Armando's blend. Another plus is that we not only have this delicious coffee but it is a local OH company bringing it to us.
I found their website crimsoncup.com to be very informative....and inspirational. THANKS FOR ALL THE POSTS...helpful info! :))