East Coast Coffee Suppliers

RGB

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all--

I am laying the groundwork for opening a chocolate and coffee shop on the east coast (specifically in PA WV region). I was wondering if anyone knew of any wholesaler/supplier of coffee that is of better quality than say your typical food service company, I.E Cysco, Rhinehart, etc. I know in Pittsburgh there is a Nichols coffee co. and in NC I was reading about CounterCulture Coffee co but just seeing if anyone had any suggestions or advice when it comes to locating a supplier for coffee. It needs to be of good quality in order to attract business and build a solid reputation so I believe this is a critical part of opening a coffee shop. Any advice or help will me greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen you will get 1 of 4 types of responses
1. Buy my product - I have the best
2. I use xyz local roaster (micro, affordable, excellent service, great relationship) but they are in Yukon, AK
3. ABC Coffee Co. makes great product check them out (although I've never used them I've heard good things)
4. A member in your area presents a number of options they are using or currently used in the past

or maybe 5 the person that just likes to link

Fresh Cup Fresh Cup Magazine - Buyer's Guide
Coffee Talk CoffeeTalk Yellow Pages
My Boy's Bakery looks like a interesting vendor for biscottis and cookies
Specialty Coffee Home
Other options would be sampling shops in your area and others with followings and find out who they are using
This method is how I stumbled on almost every one of my suppliers. When there was things I didn't have I would just ask a current vendor for
a recommendation or referral.

Also, Coffee Fest Seattle is coming up in September. Trade shows are great to get samples, network, and see who and what are out there

Best of luck,

I've been in this business for almost 20 years, first post here. In NC, I can recommend Larry's Beans in Raleigh and Fortuna Enterprises in Greensboro. (tried to post links to each but the system here wouldn't let me, sorry)

Both can supply beans roasted correctly...which is surprisingly rare around here.

Good luck.

If your looking for a General Contractor with a lot of coffeeshop specific and kiosk/drive-thru experience, that's what I do.

coffee4you

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have to tell you, I have considered opening up a little coffee stand/shop for years. I have weighed and re-weighed the financial ups and downs. Finally I found the answer. And NO, I'm not trying to sell an infomercial, but what I am about to tell you is REAL! I vowed I would NEVER join another multi-level or direct sales company again. Then I found Javita; or maybe Javita found me. I'm not sure. I have KNOWN for a LONG time that coffee is a HUGE business. But for the initial investment (which is FAR lower than opening up a coffee stand) the financial rewards far out way that of my own coffee shop/stand. Javita is a new company, having launched in June of this year. I am getting in on the ground floor. Now is the time to get in on this amazing opportunity. I will be earning over 500k next year. Javita has the best compensation/bonus plan I have ever seen.

All that being said, my upline is in the process of opening up a cofee shop that is strictly Javita. It is the latest in instant coffee. It is being compared to Starbucks Via. They will have a line of tea coming out soon, along with a weightloss coffee and other products. So if you are interested, or know someone who is interested, let me know and I will get you the website (I'm new so I can't post the link). I look forward to hearing back from you.

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
You should probably go check out your local roaster, particularly if you can find a dedicated micro-roaster. As a micro-roaster (yes, I recognize my bias here...), I can tell you that one of things many of us offer, that others cannot, is undivided attention to quality. I'll just speak for myself here: I don't have my hand in a hundred different places (e.g., running a shop, renting/selling equipment, managing hundreds or even thousands of accounts). I have really only two primary goals: to source and roast excellent coffee. Many roasters are excellent at the second goal, but do not give due time to the first. Finding quality beans requires a tedious sampling process (okay...not that tedious. Who doesn't love drinking coffee for a living?!), which necessarily requires rejecting many of the beans that importers send a roaster to try. Not all beans are created equal! But I know for a fact 8x that many larger roasters simply get regional beans sent to them with a very negligible and lazy selection process, if any!

And, of course, I think my coffee is among the best--any roaster who spends the majority of his or her life attempting to source the best coffee and roast coffee optimally should! Shame on them, if they don't. So my suggestion is to find a dedicated micro-roaster who is constantly obsessing about his or her product.

But find one with a marketing edge (for example, our customers love this: Kifu Coffee Roasters | Cows for Communities Page). Most places in the world (other than central KY) are not going to choose a Kifu Coffee Roasters over an Intellegenstia, unless there is a "hook" that grabs them. Something "sticky" that makes Kifu Coffee Roasters stand out. In the coffee culture that usually involves some humanitarian cause (though sometimes it leads to outrageous prices as well). Find a dedicated micro-roaster who has a good marketing angle and good prices. Your customers will notice. And, of course, I am shameless enough to suggest you check us out. Let me know if you would like some samples :)

KCR

Last edited: