Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Shadow did you not read he will make $500,000 next year??? I would get in early if I were you

Ok so updates
    Got a request for a 9/11 Memorial 5K walk/run looking for 3-4 trucks.
    I like to run, it is a good cause, and I was eager to do an event.
    Cost $130 Sales $77 = OUCH

I knew the 5K would be over fast, I just didn't expect people to clear out immediately after the run. The organizer requested continental breakfast items, juice, coffee, and water. On race day, no one really knew I was suppose to be there or where I was supposed to park, I discovered that they got a muffin sponsor. So all runners received free muffins and water = me left with a lot of muffins yum yum.

Sorry I'm a little out of it and this isn't that well worded
    Here is a list of questions I will ask for future events
    Who else is sponsoring?
    What is being provided to participants?
    What time will volunteers arrive? What time will participants arrive?
    Review map / parking / facilities with event organizer
    How will I be involved in the event? Promoted over PA? On shirts?
    What activities will there be to draw a crowd (music, kid's stuff, prizes...)
    What was the turn out last year (if it is a first event think FREE or NEGOTIATE down)?
    What utilities / services will be provided (electricity, water, trash, etc)?

I will add a little more later

Other sad news
    The generator has 44 hours and has locked up. This is totally random and uncommon. Unfortunately, I didn't think this would happen for 2 more years and the currently the generator is unremovable from the truck. Will be working on a solution next next week.
    In the meantime, I bought a Honda Companion 2KW generator to run the coffee brewer in the AM and shave ice machine in the afternoon. There goes about $1,500

Good news
    Yelp review lead to getting a catering gig for a certain tv show being filmed out here
    Great opportunity to open some new doors

Today was best day in sales. More then doubled last day of sales. Also, first day sold out of ice coffee and ice tea.
    From popup, to truck, to brick and mortar, to multiple brick and mortar, to popup, to open/close, to open, open, open, to popup, to all closed.
    Now I make videos about coffee and answer questions where I can help out https://youtu.be/GIUFvS9EYYw

OK I will give in to having a buttload of $$$ and toss my integrity out the window of this van. Give me instant coffee or give me death...

Sorry to hear about the generator as I know that can be a BIG ouch as it's the lifeblood of your operation unless you have access to a 220v connection everywhere you travel and that is almost never the case. The little Honda will get you by for your streamlined needs and at least you're out and about vending even though somewhat wounded in operation.

The 5k runs usually blow. The ones we have done were OK, but almost never worth the effort. Organizers can't seem to comprehend that runners don't want to load up on drinks, etc. before a run and are usually too exhausted afterward to care. Most provide fresh fruit, pastries and water. So we ask, why the hell did you ask us to show up?!?

My wife recently came up with a list of criteria event coordinators must meet to get us involved.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Hey Shave,
    Just joined, not in business yet. Wanted to let you know your posts are awesome and really helpful. BIG support!
    Keep up the good work, hope Generator will work soon

Shadow thats what I thought initially as well. Had it looked at and they think the generator is totally locked u. Bad news because that means the permanent generator needs to be pulled out if the truck.The catering event for Hawaii 5-0 was super fun. We got slammed before we even got set up. Probably 200 drinks in 3 hours. The organizer said speed of service and getting drinks out in a timely manner would be very important. 2 people in truck handling ice coffee and espresso based, 1 outside being expo and taking orders, last person was outside at a tea bar, doing all ice teas. Got great feedback on speed and product. Hopefully that translates to more bookings.Rented a Honda 6500 and wired espresso machine directly in.Used the Honda 2000 companion, to run fridge, shave ice, and water pump. I highly recommend everyone have one of those Shurflo pumps that connect with 5 g jug as a back up. Never know when water filtration our other problems will arise.This is longest post from my phone, hope everything makes sense...Finally, they found me for this event. 1 Yelp review (my only review) convinced them to reach out to me. They got the rest of my information via Twitter. Just wanted to highlight the power and influence social media has had in our short existence.no posts for a week or so. Will be going to Coffeefest, if you are going would be great to meet up
    From popup, to truck, to brick and mortar, to multiple brick and mortar, to popup, to open/close, to open, open, open, to popup, to all closed.
    Now I make videos about coffee and answer questions where I can help out https://youtu.be/GIUFvS9EYYw

Thanks for the message, that is really refreshing to hear. Sometimes I'm hesitant to post because I feel like I'm always bumping,my own threadYou climb?

Catering event went really well and should be getting a few more later this month.Coffeefest was amazing. Talk about value, best $30 Ive spent during this entire process. A more indepth follow up will come when Im not on my phone.Couple bids to just remove generator is at $1,200 - $1,600 yikes. More to come on this as well.Friday we are going to be attending our first Food Truck rally. Cost $250 Estimated aytendance 6,000My goal is 500 tickets in 5 hrs. Seems like.a stretch but as long as we adjust for bottle necks and communicate I think it is feasible. Stay tuned

Event went pretty well. We didn't hit our goal, but it was the best day so far. Drink quality was great and we kept up with the customers all night. For the next event we will tweak the menu a little bit and offer a couple small food items.

Today went to the usual Tuesday event, didn't have as good of parking spot. It was a really fun day, didn't realize I had built up some regulars that missed the truck, while we were at Coffee Fest.

New item: Italian Soda sold out

What type of Italian Soda did you have?

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    What type of Italian Soda did you have?
    A traditional american one? Made the presentation nice and had some unique syrup flavor options. Let me know if that answers your questions.

Today was one of the slowest days so far. Teamed up with 3 other trucks and none of us did that much volume. I still will keep going back to this spot because I think can grow a following here.

Expenses today (working on using all cash to better control cash flow)
    $6: Ginger root and bananas
    $20: Filled gas tank generator
    $9: Ice

Schomer pullin shots - YouTube Did I post this already? David pulling shots at coffee fest. It was nice to just watch him work (in real life) and taste a freshly pulled shot [edit by him! I've had freshly pulled shots before LOL]

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't that busy today
    The Curb or northing (Nerf Challenge) - YouTube "Nerf Challenge" is the marketing campaign for the rest of the month. It is quirky/corny/fun which is exactly what we want our brand to represent. Several people stopped to ask what the "Nerf Challenge" menu item was. The idea is we provide a unique experience in everything we do. We want to be sticky and not like every other cafe or food truck. I will provide more specifics of challenge and results after it kicks off.

Tomorrow will be teaming up with a couple of trucks and will be in more of a business environment setting. High hopes for Thursday back to prepping.

Nice little write up, regarding the Nerf challenge http://www.streetgrindz.com/street-g...challenge.html

Last week I wrote a really detailed recap then it didn't post and I didn't have the energy to write it up again. Sales have been all over the place, starting to get more regulars, still don't have espresso or big gen fixed.2 high lights from last week were starting a new truck destination and working on the branding of it.

TOSS Thursday (Trucks on Sheridan St.). Special we ran was a sampler for $8 (1 item from each truck and about 25% off). Basically the customer would come to my truck in the middle first and pay $8.

They would then order a ice coffee or tea and get 3 poker chips, one color for each of the other trucks. At the end of the day he other trucks cashed in all of their chips. As a new destination the idea was to get people to try everything, drive incremental sadles, and provide a unique offering.

Friday day the truck was in the shop. Friday night we catered Hawaii 5-0 again. This time it was a little more hectic, the combination of night time, on the water front, and drizzle resulted in a lot of hot drinks.
    Next time need to simplify the menu for catering events.
    Last edited by Mr Shave; 10-18-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links