Running a Mobile Food (Lunch Wagon) coffee cart

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Truck is pretty much done. Driving and using it have identified several things that will need to be adjusted.Alright folks, had day 2 of sampling today. Shave ice and teas have been very popular.Is this thread you guys would be interested in following?

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok 2 days of sampling were super busy and had a great response from customers.

Day 1 of selling was at an area that had lots of driving traffic but didn't do that well in sales
Day 2 was in a more scenic / touristy location and did much better in sales (about 1/3 of my worse case scenario)

This weekend I made some a frame signs to advertise what the truck offers. Also worked on securing the refrigerates and several other pieces of equipment in the truck. Tomorrow will be doing the shave ice at tourist location again.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Day 3 checked out scenic area again. It was a weekday and wasn't that great. A police officer advised me that I'm not supposed to park there and if someone complains I will have to move. I asked him if he wanted me to move and he said, "he didn't mind."
Afterwards I headed across the island to the parking lot of the climbing / gymnastics gym. Today sales increased $4 over yesterday.

Day 4 Today was the first time we ran in the morning. It was pretty slow. Headed over to a lunch truck area for lunch and did more in 2 hrs then the entire previous day. Lots of great feedback on the product.
Having issues with coffee brewer still (with the broken legs) also need to check on amount of water being dispersed for full and 1/4 batches.

Day 5 Prep work and loading truck is going a lot smoother. When I started the van I realized I needed gas (it has been burning a lot of gas lately, possible because choke was stuck open?). Got gas, picked up ice, then went to the spot. Once there started everything up and realized the water pump wasn't working. Filled up the tanks and then returned to the spot (total time 1.5 hrs). Water pump was still not working.

Took the truck back to home base to tinker with. What appears to be the problem is there was so much pressure on the back side of the pump it couldn't self prime. I apologize if that doesn't make much sense.

So today didnt have any sales. I'm going to take care of a couple of inventory orders, tune some equipment, clean, and try out some new recipes. Hopefully tomorrow goes smoother

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Day 5 open about 6-2 sales on par with day 3Holiday weekend went to Kauai, camped, climbed, and checked out Kauai coffee farm.Day 6 Tuesday open for lunch truck event 11-2. Barely second best day. Lots of repeat customers from last week. Top sellers ice coffee and shave ice.Stats for funGenerator hours 36Facebook likes 75Twitter followers 92

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Prep went really well. Ice coffee is dialed in. Recipes are coming together.

Generator started smoking this morning and died. Why? IDK TBD
Throw me a bone here.

Working on truck F-Su and will be back at it on Monday

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Saturday didn't run. Was supposed to work on truck and prep for event on Sunday. GF car broke down in town so we swapped and then got it towed to a shop. All in all about 6.5 hours used up. Spent rest of the day cleaning and prepping.

Current issue - not happy with coffee. Going to play with water volume to coffee volume.

Sunday - 1st paid to attend event. Will recap later, some good lessons learned.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Generator engine smoking could be a few things... crankcase oil level could be too high. Driving with generator running can cause sloshing of oil in crankcase. Air filter can be clogged causing backpressure.

What issue(s) are you having with coffee/water? You mean drip, espresso, what?

coffee4you

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Would you ever consider using an instant coffee? I just started repping a new company, just launched in June. I have to tell you, I have considered opening up a little coffee stand/shop for years. I have weighed and re-weighed the financial ups and downs. Finally I found the answer. And NO, I'm not trying to sell an infomercial, but what I am about to tell you is REAL! I vowed I would NEVER join another multi-level or direct sales company again. Then I found Javita; or maybe Javita found me. I'm not sure. I have KNOWN for a LONG time that coffee is a HUGE business. But for the initial investment (which is FAR lower than opening up a coffee stand) the financial rewards far out way that of my own coffee shop/stand. Javita is a new company, having launched in June of this year. I am getting in on the ground floor. Now is the time to get in on this amazing opportunity. I will be earning over 500k next year. Javita has the best compensation/bonus plan I have ever seen. So if you are interested, or know someone who is interested, let me know and I will get you the website (I'm new so I can't post the link). I look forward to hearing back from you.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Shadow did you not read he will make $500,000 next year??? I would get in early if I were you ;)

Ok so updates
Got a request for a 9/11 Memorial 5K walk/run looking for 3-4 trucks.
I like to run, it is a good cause, and I was eager to do an event.
Cost $130 Sales $77 = OUCH

I knew the 5K would be over fast, I just didn't expect people to clear out immediately after the run. The organizer requested continental breakfast items, juice, coffee, and water. On race day, no one really knew I was suppose to be there or where I was supposed to park, I discovered that they got a muffin sponsor. So all runners received free muffins and water = me left with a lot of muffins yum yum.

Sorry I'm a little out of it and this isn't that well worded
Here is a list of questions I will ask for future events
Who else is sponsoring?
What is being provided to participants?
What time will volunteers arrive? What time will participants arrive?
Review map / parking / facilities with event organizer
How will I be involved in the event? Promoted over PA? On shirts?
What activities will there be to draw a crowd (music, kid's stuff, prizes...)
What was the turn out last year (if it is a first event think FREE or NEGOTIATE down)?
What utilities / services will be provided (electricity, water, trash, etc)?

I will add a little more later

Other sad news
The generator has 44 hours and has locked up. This is totally random and uncommon. Unfortunately, I didn't think this would happen for 2 more years and the currently the generator is unremovable from the truck. Will be working on a solution next next week.
In the meantime, I bought a Honda Companion 2KW generator to run the coffee brewer in the AM and shave ice machine in the afternoon. There goes about $1,500

Good news
Yelp review lead to getting a catering gig for a certain tv show being filmed out here :)
Great opportunity to open some new doors

Today was best day in sales. More then doubled last day of sales. Also, first day sold out of ice coffee and ice tea.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
OK I will give in to having a buttload of $$$ and toss my integrity out the window of this van. Give me instant coffee or give me death...

Sorry to hear about the generator as I know that can be a BIG ouch as it's the lifeblood of your operation unless you have access to a 220v connection everywhere you travel and that is almost never the case. The little Honda will get you by for your streamlined needs and at least you're out and about vending even though somewhat wounded in operation.

The 5k runs usually blow. The ones we have done were OK, but almost never worth the effort. Organizers can't seem to comprehend that runners don't want to load up on drinks, etc. before a run and are usually too exhausted afterward to care. Most provide fresh fruit, pastries and water. So we ask, why the hell did you ask us to show up?!?

My wife recently came up with a list of criteria event coordinators must meet to get us involved.

climbinghobo

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey Shave,
Just joined, not in business yet. Wanted to let you know your posts are awesome and really helpful. BIG support!
Keep up the good work, hope Generator will work soon :)

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Shadow thats what I thought initially as well. Had it looked at and they think the generator is totally locked u. Bad news because that means the permanent generator needs to be pulled out if the truck.The catering event for Hawaii 5-0 was super fun. We got slammed before we even got set up. Probably 200 drinks in 3 hours. The organizer said speed of service and getting drinks out in a timely manner would be very important. 2 people in truck handling ice coffee and espresso based, 1 outside being expo and taking orders, last person was outside at a tea bar, doing all ice teas. Got great feedback on speed and product. Hopefully that translates to more bookings.Rented a Honda 6500 and wired espresso machine directly in.Used the Honda 2000 companion, to run fridge, shave ice, and water pump. I highly recommend everyone have one of those Shurflo pumps that connect with 5 g jug as a back up. Never know when water filtration our other problems will arise.This is longest post from my phone, hope everything makes sense...Finally, they found me for this event. 1 Yelp review (my only review) convinced them to reach out to me. They got the rest of my information via Twitter. Just wanted to highlight the power and influence social media has had in our short existence.no posts for a week or so. Will be going to Coffeefest, if you are going would be great to meet up

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the message, that is really refreshing to hear. Sometimes I'm hesitant to post because I feel like I'm always bumping,my own threadYou climb?