Fresh water pump capacities

SBshaveice

Feb 16, 2012
Santa Barbara
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out a h20 system for my espresso trailer. What gpm/capacity is necessary to run espresso machine? Is Flojo a good brand? They have some the tap right into a 5 gallon Sparklet's bottle. Also, was thing of goin 12v on the pump. Thoughts?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Shurflo and Flojet are reputable brands. A good starting point would be 3.3gpm and 45psi, which is what I use as it allows multiple point-of-use setup. Meaning you can use 1 pump to supply your machine, hand wash sink, etc. as it pumps more volume to compensate for increased demand.

I'd stick with 110-120v pumps since you will already have that power source in place for other equipment. Typically pumps in this power range are more cost effective.

SBshaveice

Feb 16, 2012
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Thanks, anyone have links to simple plumbing set up? Do EM's need constant pressure from the water source? If so, does that mean you'd want a pressure tank of some sort to keep to avoid having the pump constantly ON?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
A pressure tank/accumulator would be good to smooth out pump pulsing and it keeps the pump from working harder than it has to, but it's not totally necessary. If plumbed properly and you use the correct pump with automatic pressure sensing the pump will only kick ON when the machine needs it. As in autofilling, espresso extraction, hot water use, etc. Otherwise it will simply stay in a stand-by mode until called into action.

I highly recommend using PEX plumbing as it's easy to work with and virtually indestructible. That can't be said for other water potable forms of plumbing.