Starbucks VS indepenent local coffee shops

iris

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I am hoping that you can help me with my project - Starbucks impact on independent local coffee shops
I need your views and will be grateful if you can fill up this survey: Starbucks VS Independent Coffee Shops Survey

This is NOT for Starbucks or for any independent coffee shop. It is purely for my college project. It is anonymous and no personal information is required.

I really really hope that you can help me :lol:

thanks
Iris

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
People go to The King of Char for convenience and the "experience" as they have little else to offer. For drink quality most will seek out local independent shops. IMO Charbux is their own worst enemy.

BTW I will not click on any survey links for any reason.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Iris,
What class are you doing this for? Just curious. My business is a hybrid (roaster/coffee bar), so I am not filling in your form. Can I put a couple of thoughts forward, though?
I don't think that Starbucks today has much of an impact on local coffee shops, since the typical customer of a coffee shop is different than that of SB. What SB offers today is name brand recognition, and convenience. They are generally conveniently located, often right off an interstate, close to a college, or in a highly populated neighborhood. People who are not serious coffee drinkers can feel like maybe they are serious coffee drinkers for a moment. The indies tend to attract the people who are serious about their coffee, and prefer a homier, more eclectic, or more progressive environment. I have never thought that an indie coffee shop has anything to worry about if a SB moved into their neighborhood as long as they have great service and a great quality product.

I will always be grateful to SB for what they did for the coffee industry 30 years ago, by doing the hard work of convincing consumers that there is good tasting coffee out there, and that it is worth more than $.50 a cup. Before they came along, coffee was truly just a commodity...coffee was coffee was coffee, and it needed sugar!! No comments on SB coffee today :)

Good luck with your project. Let us know what grade you got!
Ellen

HalfCaffeinated

Feb 22, 2012
USA
Visit site
Could not have said it better, Ellie. Thank you for that enlightened response. I literally can think of nothing to add to that! Starbucks is a conglomerate eyesore these days, but we are indebted to them here in the States for bringing quality coffee recognition to the masses.

Since I am a roaster, it would be unfair for me to answer your questionnaire.
Before *$ there were nothing but independents, but not as many as after they developed the market. I compare it to the changes in the fast food industry before and after McDonalds.
People have many different reasons for choosing or not choosing *$. If I were to open a coffee shop, it would be near a Starbucks.
Take a look at *$ success in China, where they have about 700 stores. They plan to double the number. It's a famous
American brand, so they like to buy.
My best to you on your project,
Morris
thenutinside.com

HalfCaffeinated

Feb 22, 2012
USA
Visit site
Interesting!!! The globalization of the economy would naturally affect coffee (as it is one of the most widely consumed beverages in all recorded history) but to hear that an historically closed nation such as China would adopt American coffee trends is truly astounding! Any news links/articles you have to this phenomenon would be a good read! I'll mosey over to Google in a bit and do the same.

Cheers!

Brandon @ HalfCafReviews

There is plenty to read, but much of it is in Chinese.

China happens to be a major exporter of coffee. It has been consumed since the 1800's. It was during Mao's reign that it was forbidden because he thought it was a terrible Western beverage. The residents of Yunnan Province basically ignored him though.

btw, I'm a roaster in Shanghai too. YOMO Artisan Roast Coffee | The best fresh roast coffee delivered to your home or office anywhere in China.

One thing for certain is that prices will skyrocket.

All the best,

Morris
theNutInside | coffee, tea and assorted nuts flakes and fruits

Starbucks is a USA phenomenon. Get outside of the USA, the scene is quite different. Real easy to count them in Australia. There aren't any. Gloria Jean from AU, Costa Coffee from UK.

I talked to a Costa Rican grower who has a contract Commercial grade. What do you suppose that means?

iris

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
thank you so much !!!

I thank everyone for participating in the survey. I am in the midst of analyzing my survey results and found out that the quality of coffee is the most important factor in deciding where to buy coffee.
Anyways, thank you so much for helping me !!!
:lol: