Coffee shop interior

RamanMaan

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
I think this is the best place to discuss interior of a coffee shop. I think in a coffee shop, I have to use coffee wall papers and the glass should be used so that people can see the shop from far away. Give me some more suggestions. Those are valuable to me. Thanks in advance.

coffeelogicuk

Nov 26, 2010
Herts
Visit site
I prefer a comfortable, homely setting for a coffee shop and can't stand walking into somewhere with cafe tables and chairs stuffed around the place with no thought to how comfortable it makes the customers feel. I agree on a good wide window to provide both light and open up the shop to passers by looking for a place to settle down.

tortillatree

Feb 8, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Visit site
Oddly enough the ceiling is crucial, even if you don't think to look at it, your subconscious notices it. Lower ceilings will make you feel crowded and uneasy. White tile ceilings lower your thoughts on how classy the place is and make it seem outdated. I always thought a high black ceiling with burlap coffee bags hanging from it, and some track lighting, would look cool for a coffeeshop. You could skip the burlap coffee bags.

Tables-chairs: they should all be different! different sizes, shapes, colors. I personally would avoid glass-tops on the tables because you have to CONSTANTLY windex them to keep them looking nice.

Sofas: must have at least one, preferably leather, tucked into a corner.

Fireplace: yes. one of those artificial ones that double as a gas-heater.

I wouldn't use coffee wallpaper. I'd just paint the walls a solid color and then I would invite local art students to hang their work on the wall for sale. Every few months swap out what didn't sell for a new lineup of art. It will give customers something to look at, it's community-friendly, and it gives you free decorations!

In lieu of that, hire a local artist to paint some abstract trees, birds, and flowers on the walls. You want to provide your customers with an escape. Give them something to inspire them, something to take them away from the worries of the world. Make them feel comfortable, welcome. The coffee will do the rest.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Clean lines.

Simple colors, but not dull.

The color of the space should reflect the psychology of the environment you are establishing.

No sofa. Sofa says "I'm here to relax, I'm not here for coffee" It also conveys that it's a shop with coffee, not a coffee shop.

Square or rectangular tables are often better as they are easier to join.
You really can't pull round tables together effectively.

Everything needs to work together harmoniously, not be thrown together.

Professionalism in design extends to all areas of the business. Lack of clarity and focus in one area will always be reflected throughout.

Plan and execute!

I would advise against the local "art" thing. There's not any support of local artists going on, it just supports failed artists. If you want good art either buy it or commission someone whose talent you value to paint something exclusive for you. Too much on the walls will make the space seem cluttered and unfocused. Allow the walls to speak for themselves.

The other problem, and the larger one, is that once you lock yourself into creating an ambiance that caters to the hipster-doofus crowd, then you are excluding everyone else. And if you try to appeal to everyone, you really will appeal to no one. The coffee should be what people remember.

ColumbiaCoffeeZone

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
We have a different feel in our shop than anyone else in town and it goes with the entire theme of the shop. Try to build an IMC and stick with that with everything you do... IMC=Integrated Marketing Communication... essentially, everything in the place needs to be along the same lines. If you give the feel of being upper end, then everything should scream upper end... don't have a 5-star coffee shop that serves in cheap bar ware. If you're a "generic" feel that only does things on the cheap to pass the savings along to your customers, then do that theme throughout. Keep everything together though, make sure your theme is consistent.