Starbucks affects local cafe less business?

Sam

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Starbucks affects local cafes less business?

Hello!
I am doing a research about how Starbucks affects local cafes in Santa Barbara.

So if you manage a coffee shop or work at a coffee shop, please give me some ideas of these above,

Does Starbucks coffee affect independent cafes less business?
and if so, do they have a strong power of it?
Do you think Starbucks will take more customers from local shops in the future?

Thank you!
Sam:coffeemug:

Last edited:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As a general rule, Starbucks increases sales of local coffee shops.

However, if the local coffee shop does not provide a better product, the customers are likely to stick with Starbucks.

The "let's buy local" mantra doesn't last long with a lousy product. So the easiest way to beat Starbucks? Locate nearby and make better coffee.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Sam

Welcome!

Regarding your question.....Recently, I've noticed a lot of people have been coming into the cafe asking for "Starbuck's type" coffee drinks. They're obviously not loyal to Starbucks, and they're open to trying the coffee in other places. If the local cafes consistently produce better coffee at a reasonable price, they'll win over the customers and end up thanking Starbucks at the end of the day.

Rose

Sam

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
John, thank you for the reply!
I agree with you, I think most of dependent cafes in downtown are able to keep their business because they have a better product and a better environment that customers can peacefully and calmly relax.

Sam

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rose, thanks for the reply!

I've been seeing a couple shops increasing a price or changing open hours shorter, but I hope that the local stores with a true product can keep their business with a reasonable price.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Sam,

Instead of increasing the price of the coffee, the owners of the cafe decided to increase the prices for the baked goods, (muffins, biscotti, cookies, etc). They also raised the price of the hot chocolate, iced tea, and bottled beverages (water, sodas and gatorade, juice) The customers just took it in stride. Most are only there for the coffee, so it didn't bother them to see the price increase.

Rose

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The ONLY coffee shops we have in the suburbs is Starbucks. Otherwise, it's convenience stores and restaurants.

We would choose a private coffee shop over Starbucks in a heartbeat.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have my doubts about it. It seems like they're constantly moving away from their long-time identity as a vendor of premium coffee. I wonder if they'll be able to avoid becoming a bar that serves coffee, instead of a cafe that serves alcohol.

pretty

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I think Starbucks has become very addictive to anyone. It is okay to like the taste and this can be a challenge to other local cafes to make out the best coffee better than Starbucks.

Shawn

Jun 2, 2012
Seattle
Visit site
Starbucks has a their standard coffee shop but with a bar on Capitol Hill in downtown Seattle. They have also just recently added a or will be adding a fresh juice bar in Bellevue.

coffiend

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
As a general rule, Starbucks increases sales of local coffee shops.

where did this general rule come from? it makes no sense. there is no factual evidence to backup this statement. if anything, starbucks hurts local cafe sales. locating nearby and making better coffee isn't always going to work, starbucks has billions of dollars of advertising and HUGE brand identity, something no local business can compete with.