Brewed Cocoa Nibs

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Howdy-hey....

I just brewed my first batch of cocoa nibs. Figured it might be something we want to offer in our shop down the road.

The instructions called for 4T of nibs/8oz boiling water to steep for 5 minutes. The results were pretty strong and sour. Then I added a bit of sugar and milk and liked the results. Still a bit of an edge, but the cocoa really came through. I think I could grow to like the combo.(Wife didn't like it one bit. Said it was still sour even gussied up. hehe)

Does the amount of cocoa to water sound like a lot to anyone else?

scott

DirtyDave

I roast cacao nibs in my 1kg air roaster (see Coffee Roaster by Dirty Dave Customs - YouTube).
The result is pretty dramatic (and the aromatics are out of this world).
I grind and add to the coffee grounds, then brew.
The roast profile for cacao is wildly different than for coffee.
It also requires a thorough cleaning before going back to coffee (or else everything tastes like.....chocolate).
When you think of how cacao is processed/roasted, you can see ALLOT of room for improvement.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Once again, I must thank you for your input, Dave.

What kind of ratio do you use between coffee and cocoa?

scott

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I just tried another batch of brewed nibs. 2T this time in 8 oz water steeped for about 5 min. I then poured the liquid into a small carafe, added 1T sugar and some milk and served over ice.

I really like the result. The wife can't stand it. We both have good tasters. I'm ready for more, she says its repulsive. Go figure.

lw

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "eldub"

It sounds like you've been having some fun experimenting.

You may find this article interesting as you explore the chocolate/coffee experience. As you read further down, you will see that this guy used 4T to 8 ounces of water (with a French Press).

Chocolate Alchemy » Brewing Cocoa

He also says .... "brewed cocoa, regardless of source, is not an intense, thick mouth coating drink like many are accustomed to in hot chocolate or the other various processed chocolate drinks. It’s more subtle and sublime than that. It is its own drink. If you compare it to hot chocolate, you may come away disappointed. If you evaluate it for it own flavor and merits, I think you will come away impressed."

That may help explain why your wife doesn't like your creations.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL I bought the nibs from the source in question, Rose. His instructions were the basis for using 4T/8oz water. That said, I woke up in the middle of the night craving another cup of brewed cocoa. I just can't get enough.

As for the wife's reaction, my guess is that its something like cilantro. Some people really like it and others find the taste to be soapy. Might be a genetic reaction. I also found the 4T/8oz water brew to be overpoweringly tart on its own. However, even when mixed with sugar and milk, she finds the flavor to be repugnantly sour. But the wife and I both have honed our tasting skills over the years partially due to my working in the wine industry. On most flavor profiles, our tastes line up pretty well.

My next experiment will be 3T cocoa brewed in 12oz water in french press w/ sugar and milk added before pouring over ice. I find the flavor to be sublime.

Alchemist

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Source in question chiming in :) Hi folks. OMG - I totally hear you about the cilantro bit. Can stand the stuff, and have heard the same about brewed cocoa. Eldub - when you get that tart flavor, how long are you letting it rest? I get that very tart flavor is it sets too long. But yes, milk (and sugar if you wish) mitigate it a lot.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Alchemist" (the source in question)

I'm glad you found us. Thanks for chiming in.

It's such a small world, especially where the Internet is concerned.

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website!

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I love the net. (And I'm just finishing my first cup of iced cocoa as we type.)

I've been consuming the cocoa immediately after brewing. I really love the results, but I DO ned to find a bigger cup. The batch this morning consisted of 3T cocoa steeped in a french press for at least 5 minutes combined with 12 oz water and 2T sugar poured over ice. I could have done with a bit less sugar. (I'm using the org/ft Peruvian Criollo from 2011 harvest.)

I'm planning on perfecting the recipe and offering this product in our new shop if/when we manage to jump through all of the gubmint hoops. (I should hear from the fire marshal today or tomorrow concerning the roasters OK to be located in the desired spot.)

We're also looking to offer organic Turkish coffee boiled in a cezve and organic yerba mate served in glass gourds and consumed through stainless steel bombillas at the coffee/tea bar.

Any ideas on the presentation of brewed coaoa, yerba mate, tea or coffee would be appreciated.

Thanks for the brewed cocoa, Alchemist.

scott

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Turned a buddy from Russia onto some brewed cocoa last night and he loved it without sugar or milk. Dude is strong like bull.....

lw

CocoaJoe

Jun 24, 2012
Denver, CO
Visit site
Hi All... I know I'm late to this thread, but I have found the brewing methods for coffee and tea to not deliver the full effect... try the Mayan Method @ drinkcocoajoe.com and I think you won't brew your cocoa any other way ever again. Also - we found that brewed cocoa can be used as a base for a huge amount of cocktails or baked goods - even pancakes!! Try it ... I hope to hear comments and share ideas with you all in the future!
Thanks,
CocoaJoe
PS... Hi Chocolate Alchemist - hope China is treating you well!!

blackandstrong

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
brewing cocoa with coffee

has anyone experimented with blending the cocoa and the coffee grounds? seems like it could be a logical combination. i've blended herbal tea into coffee grounds before with great success (ie, coconut, cinnamon...)

Alchemist

May 2, 2012
Visit site
has anyone experimented with blending the cocoa and the coffee grounds? seems like it could be a logical combination. i've blended herbal tea into coffee grounds before with great success (ie, coconut, cinnamon...)
In a word, yes. And the lack of information you find out there is indicative of how the results come out. It is indeed a logical combination at first glance.....but upon looking further, you discover that coffee extracts very well with water. But cocoa is near 50% oil, and the classic 'oil and water don't mix' holds here. Very little flavor is extracted with just a pour over/drip hot water extraction. It just kind of muddies the brew. Herbal teas as you point out are teas, and again formulated to be very water soluble.