power system for mobile espresso truck?

astrotq

May 1, 2012
Kodiak AK
Visit site
So I'm entering the exciting world of mobile espresso, and have already purchased a bare box truck which I need to outfit. My question at this point, while I'm planning and designing with my handy husband, is:

is it feasible to only run the equipment off of a high powered inverter and battery bank system? (maybe 5000-6000 watts, with upgrading the alternator to take the load)

or is it necessary to also have a generator to run the equipment off of most the time, and just have the inverter as back up or for use during driving time?

Of course I'd also like to wire in a 220 plug connection for fairs and such, but the my plan for routes mostly involves being remote.

Soooooo inverter vs generator.... what's your experience?

Also: how difficult is it to be able to wire this for a 220V espresso machine to work? Up until this point I thought that a 110V machine was my only option if I was running off a generator/inverter, but maybe this isnt' true?

Last edited:

astrotq

May 1, 2012
Kodiak AK
Visit site
What? I just want to know each and every secret of the universe, is that so much to ask? Lol! Please email me, I'm astrotq @ hotmail.com, I would love to partake in your knowledge of the cosmos of coffee.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Everything is feasible but the question is how much money do you really want to throw at it? I don't think a battery bank/inverter system is going to work for you. Your going to have to design a system that would provide you enough charge for the entire time your going to be open. Batteries are rated in Amp Hours and when you start doing the math the pure cost alone is going to kill you. A good 250AH deep cycle battery is going to set you back $200 - $300 a pop.

The problem now is finding how many batteries your going to need. The math is simple take 5000 watts divide it by 12 volts and you'll get the amps required to run your setup. Your looking at 417 amps. The next issues is those batteries are not designed to release 250 amps in 1 hour. Its more for a slow draw around 20AH. The faster you draw the quicker you'll kill your batteries so you have to take that into account too. By this time you'll have killed all of your storage capacity in the truck with nothing but batteries.

I think you'd be better off with a generator.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
What? I just want to know each and every secret of the universe, is that so much to ask? Lol! Please email me, I'm astrotq @ hotmail.com, I would love to partake in your knowledge of the cosmos of coffee.

I say this because you wouldn't believe how many times yearly I get contacted by those looking for info on mobile setups. To be honest I'm glad to help, but there have been quite a few that are wanting me to give them every bit of info I can possibly think of and spell out their business plan for them. Most would charge for hours/pages of valuable info such as that. Not saying this applies to you in any way...