Adding Coffee to my Juice Bar

VashX

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have a local organic juice bar and I wanted to add a self serve section with 3-4 flavors of organic coffee.

I don't know much about making coffee as I don't drink it, but I am trying to increase revenue since I am next to Einstein Bagels and they sell tons of coffee. Since I have a hot spot for coffee, why not offer organic coffee.

So if I can get help from anyone here, it would greatly be appreciated.

From what I know so far, I need a water softner. I am not sure how harsh my water is, but I plan to buy one from Home Depot. A good brand machine should suffice for just a coffee brewer right?

As for the coffee brewer, I found a used Fetco Dual Satellite Brewer (CBS 204e). I would post a link but I can't since this is my first post.

Is it a good machine for what I plan to do?

Next, I would like to know if anyone has any recomendations for great organic coffee. I found a couple on google, such as jim's, but they only come in beans. So I would assume I would need a grinder, any recommendations on a grinder?

Also if I am missing anything, please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
Hi Everyone,

I have a local organic juice bar and I wanted to add a self serve section with 3-4 flavors of organic coffee.

Perhaps if you expand more on your juice bar some of the answers might be more specific and helpful.
For starters, local organic fruit? More of a health conscious customer? If so, flavored and organic coffee seems contradicting.

I don't know much about making coffee as I don't drink it, but I am trying to increase revenue since I am next to Einstein Bagels and they sell tons of coffee. Since I have a hot spot for coffee, why not offer organic coffee.
This is a big concern. If you have bad coffee (how will you know if what you are serving is good or bad if you don't drink it??) will this tarnish your juice brand and image?

Have you looked at other complimentary products in the past? I am happy to answer specific questions, personally I believe if you aren't passionate about coffee and the product it will show in the cup. I would recommend looking into other streams or finding someone to run the coffee for you.

As for the coffee brewer, I found a used Fetco Dual Satellite Brewer (CBS 204e). I would post a link but I can't since this is my first post.

Is it a good machine for what I plan to do?
I use Fetco brewers and am satisfied with their performance. How many cups do you need to sell to pay for the brewer and grinder?

Next, I would like to know if anyone has any recomendations for great organic coffee. I found a couple on google, such as jim's, but they only come in beans. So I would assume I would need a grinder, any recommendations on a grinder?

Don't buy preground beans.

Also if I am missing anything, please let me know.
yes.

VashX

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank for your reply.

I am not sure how much to expand on what our juice bar does, we offer all fresh juice and smoothies that come from fruit and vegetables.

I have a section that I can easily add 4 self serve dispensers for coffee, and I think it would be great to offer organic coffee on the space. I don't see it completely contradicting my theme, as it will be all organic. This is a better option for coffee isn't it?

There is a lot of customers who I deal with that explain they will not give up their coffee and I am sure I will attract more of those customers who need their coffee.

I have been a coffee drinker in the past, but due to my condition, I gave it up for fresh juice. So I do know a good and bad coffee and it will all be taste tested before I settle on a brand and flavor.

I am not going all out, not trying to be a professional on the topic, but I don't see it difficult UNLESS I am missing something.

From my understanding, I just need a good organic coffee brand, a grinder to grind the beans, and to have the machine brew it up into the tank. Is there more to that?

Thanks again for replying and dealing with my lack of knowledge on the subject.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Most organic coffees don't have flavors added. However, it is possible to add "flavors" to coffee that ARE organic. (organic cocoa or vanilla, for instance.) If you really feel the need for having a flavored organic coffee, it would be possible for you to add your own organic ingredients to the beans after purchase.

I would consider sticking to something basic like maybe an organic single origin, organic blend and maybe an organic decaf.

lw

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
shadow: While organic coffee might well be overrated, according to the marketing data we've found its currently the fastest and pretty much the only growing segment of the coffee industry in the US.

lw

VashX

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
What do you all think of Jim's Organic Coffee?

I would post a link, but I need at least 5 posts to post links.

Search on Google: Jims Organic Coffee

Thank you.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
shadow: While organic coffee might well be overrated, according to the marketing data we've found its currently the fastest and pretty much the only growing segment of the coffee industry in the US.

lw

It very well may be, but I'd chalk that up to misinformed public and marketing strategy/hype. People will buy into anything that claims to offer any sort of health benefit, whether it does or not and will pay more for it. Like the idiotic "healthy" coffee ads you see plastered on various sites...

Our roaster said any of your average farms that are growing arabica are at least 95% organic anyway and that most farmers can't afford to be certified 100% organic. "If" there is any type of residual on/in coffee due to non-organic practices I seriously doubt it'd survive the processing/roasting/preparation. If people want to buy into the rainforest, organic, yadda, yadda, yadda coffees then more power to them. I prefer to buy high quality coffee at good prices that I can live with. I care about taste/texture, not hype!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "VashX"

Where are you located? Do you have a local roaster in your area?

Since you already have an organic juice bar, it makes sense to offer organic coffee. The debate regarding marketing strategy/hype and whether or not organic coffee is overrated really shouldn't concern you. Your customers are used to your organic juice bar....so give them organic coffee.

If you have a local roaster, he may be able to suggest a few organic coffees that would be pleasing to your customers. Are they requesting or suggesting that you sell anything in particular?

Getting the coffee beans from a local roaster and grinding them on-site is the best way to go.

Rose