Non-coffee product to sell in Coffee House

KMM

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm in my third month of business. I have The Coffee House and my drink sales are going pretty well. I'd like to add more items to sell since I have a relative captive market coming in my coffee house. I currently offer an array of tie dyed t shirts, locally made ceramic mugs and hand made wood frames. I'd like to have other items. Any suggestions from coffee shop patrons that have actually bought different items in a coffee shop other than food or drink. Coffe shop owners....could you share ideas for things that have sold well in your shop???

thanks

KMM

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "KMM"

What do you mean when you say you have a relatively captive market coming into your coffee house? Are you referring to a specific type of customer (college students, business people, etc?). Are you selling any of the other items that you mentioned? I honestly doubt that I'd buy a tye-dyed shirt at a coffee house, but if it works for you, then that's great!

I worked in a cafe where the owner decided to sell wind chimes, (because she liked wind chimes) Needless to say, that idea turned out to be a bad one! Besides wanting to strangle the little brats (adults too) who would stand at the wind chime display and clang them (Excedrin headache) dusting the display was a real chore!

I hope you'll give your merchandise selection a lot of thought.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
KMM,

You're in your third month. Have patience. It's often the mistake of a new (or misinformed) owner to try to increase revenue by adding things completely separate from what they do, as if that will get you a wider base. That is far from the truth. What it will do is lose you customers and lose you profitability, both short and long term. Outside items add no value to your business, and they take away the focus from what you should be doing.

The last thing you want to do is to add items outside of your core? Once you look for products and items outside of what you do, you are eroding the entire essence of your business. You will not make any appreciable money nor will you ever attract any customers by selling shirts, hats, or pogo sticks. Stay with what you do. Work on improving it every day. And if you do those two things, every single day, you will be just fine.

Last edited: