Does Anyone Ever RENT a Roaster?

Aliciajane

Oct 10, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Hi - I'm relatively new to the forum (though I've been reading it for a little while now). My husband and I are currently writing a business plan for a coffeehouse that would include a custom roasting component. From the reading I've done, it seems like a good roaster could cost upwards of $14,000...is this not true?

Here's my question - and I hope it's not stupid - does anyone ever rent a roaster? Our thought is that we could rent for a year or so and then buy a roaster when our business was off the ground and survival more certain. Buying the espresso machine, etc. makes plenty of sense - but this big piece for the roaster does take a chunk of funding we'd rather put up after things are stable.

Any thoughts are helpful -thanks!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
What size roaster are you looking at? You can pick them up cheaper...My 2 kilo was around 5 grand...and you can pick up a five kilo(perfect for in-house roasting) for around 8 grand....if you have questions pm me

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
I know some roasters will contract roast or private label roast for you, and maybe even train you if you purchase the greens. However, renting a roaster to place on-site or even having you rent time on their roasters maybe risky. Especially with L&I issues, etc. Go on-line and see if there are local roasters in your area, give them a buzz and ask them if they'd be willing to help. Or as Topher said, you can find something like the two sizes he mentioned and give that a try.

JavaQueen

Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
There are some roaster manufacturers that do financing. Or you could get financing through your bank (most banks are more than happy to do a leasing situation with you). Was it Ambex that used to do a free roaster program? I can't remember.

Aliciajane

Oct 10, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Very helpful - thanks

You've all very helpfully attacked my question from several angles. What I've gathered is the following:

- No, I should not do something as risky as renting a roaster
- Roasters actually don't have to cost quite as much as I'd thought
- Financing can also help ease the initial financial shock

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll go brew a cup of coffee...I have 75 ninth grade essays to grade. Or should I take a painkiller instead?