Just a question

sjwl

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi people. I'm Sean and I'm new here. Actually I registered here because I can't find an answer to my question lol. I've tried many types of coffee at home but it never tastes as good as the coffee you get in places like starbucks or tim horton's. Not even when I buy their coffee to make at home. I'm not sure if it's the cream or the amount of coffee used but it just never tastes the same, and nowhere near as good when I make coffee at home. Anyone know why?

slowsipper

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I love Tims. The wife and I can make it just like theirs. They use heavy whipping cream (no half n half or powder), Tims coffee, brew it in a Bunn and dont let it sit any longer than 20 minutes. Check to make sure the water you use isn't messing up your flavor. Hope that helps and happy sippin. PS -To get that charbucks flavor, just burn your coffee . J/K:D

Last edited:

mellowdee

Oct 4, 2012
Illinois
Visit site
Starbucks shmarbucks! Just kidding...kind of. I'm never tried Tims but I know Starbucks coffee isn't quite up to par with specialty coffee. Compared to where I work (coffeehound.net) the coffee tastes burnt and watered down. Maybe try to French Press your beans? French Presses are good about extracting thick juicy flavors, and make for a "stronger" cup. Best of luck! :)

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
You can't go wrong with a french press.... only about $30.00 and it brews some of the best coffee (besides an espresso machine... but they cost 10-100 times the price of a french press!).

Also moka pots are pretty good. They brew something about half way between what a french press and an espresso machine makes. They are also fairly cheap.

rebclick

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
For a simple quick brew I always prefer a french press.. key is Don't Leave it Too Long! Remember the longer the grounds sit in the brew the stronger & more bitter the brew will become. Choose a favorite roast and then do several test brews to get just the right amount of time to suite your taste.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I have used drip coffee machines in the past, they can brew a good cup but you have to make sure that your basket isn't stained and wore out. I don't know if it was all in my head but I thought that I tasted a flavor change when I switched to an unbleached filter. Once you have that straight, it is all about the machine! I would think that some brew a better coffee than others. It should be in the timing and heat of the water.

Just thinking out loud here, I am a novice compared to the crew here! They can give you better scientific data than me so you are in good hands.

In my opinion I must say that the others here who are talking abut a french press, well... I have to agree with them. You need a good grinder and do not grind your beans until you need them, but it is a wonderful contraption! I am very happy with mine, I have a big one at home and take a small one cup press when I leave home! The small one cost me like $15 from Star Bucks it may be a great way to give it a try.

Nice to meet you, and good to have you on board!

sjwl

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the replies everyone. Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy. I'll have to try all the suggestions :)

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
The key as mentioned is to brew it fresh and also to make sure you use the right cream. That is Tim Hortons secret.

Also, I find it tastes better if you have an old fashoned plain donut (from Tim Hortons Of Course!). So, if you often have a donut with your coffee it is obviously going to taste different if you are at home and you don't. Do you usually have a cookie/donut with your coffee when you are out? If so there's your problem lol... Just get some donuts/cookies for home, and you should be good to go.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Starbucks, but I have never found their coffee to be burned? Has that happened to you multiple times, or just once? (slowsipper)
If just once I hope you complained, and got a refund.