Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dont tar and feather me for asking! Instant?

This is a discussion on Dont tar and feather me for asking! Instant? within the Coffee Table forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Originally Posted by PinkRose Hi "ppkgan" You mentioned that you make coffee in your French Press, and your wife enjoys having instant coffee.....I don't see ...

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hi "ppkgan"

You mentioned that you make coffee in your French Press, and your wife enjoys having instant coffee.....I don't see the problem.

She enjoys what she wants, and you enjoy what you want. I'm sure you don't go through a lot of coffee all by yourself. Maybe money isn't the issue here. Maybe one person is looking for a way to control the other.

I wouldn't go for the switch days idea. One of you will be unhappy on your "off" day. It's not worth it.

Marriage is all about compromise, respecting each other's individuality, and learning how to play nice together. When you slip into trying to change the other person, (even if it's about something small like coffee preferences) you're treading into dangerous territory. The little bit of money saved in this case isn't worth the sacrifice and resentment that may follow.

Life is too short to fret about the small stuff. Just brew your individual coffees, and sit out on the porch, and enjoy the time you have with each other.

Rose
    Well said. It is true that they probably wouldn't go through that much coffee on their own.. My wife and I have our different tastes, not when it comes to coffee, but certain other things like avocado (yuck), and other things. I don't see an issue with the compromise of the coffee on the off days. It's sort of the same with me and her compromising on movie nights. Sometimes she wants to see something I really don't want to see, or I want to see something she doesn't want to see. But we sit there together and watch it, and we enjoy the time together. Doesn't happen too often as we have sort of the same taste in movies. And lately they have all been crap anyway lol

It's the little differences that make like interesting. If we all liked exactly the same things, and all had the same tastes wouldn't life be boring? The variety, and the difference is what makes it all worthwhile. Opposites attract as they say

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    I view compromising on watching movies, or going to the mall, or attending a sporting event as somewhat different than compromising on food or drink choices (including coffee). If I had to drink instant coffee every other day....I'd skip the coffee and be grumpy all day.

From what I've been reading in several of the threads on this forum, "ppkgan" has been exploring the world of "good" coffee on his own and he likes what he's discovered so far. Trying to make him drink instant coffee is going to be a tug of war, just like trying to get his wife to enjoy the "good" coffee won't work either. I think it's best to keep things separate when it comes to food and drink choices.

Speaking of movies, when we're home watching movies, I'm the only one who likes the low-fat popcorn (rather than the one with butter) and we make two kinds of popcorn so everyone is happy (including me). I compromise on the movie selections, but not on the popcorn.

Rose

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    I view compromising on watching movies, or going to the mall, or attending a sporting event as somewhat different than compromising on food or drink choices (including coffee). If I had to drink instant coffee every other day....I'd skip the coffee and be grumpy all day.

From what I've been reading in several of the threads on this forum, "ppkgan" has been exploring the world of "good" coffee on his own and he likes what he's discovered so far. Trying to make him drink instant coffee is going to be a tug of war, just like trying to get his wife to enjoy the "good" coffee won't work either. I think it's best to keep things separate when it comes to food and drink choices.

Speaking of movies, when we're home watching movies, I'm the only one who likes the low-fat popcorn (rather than the one with butter) and we make two kinds of popcorn so everyone is happy (including me). I compromise on the movie selections, but not on the popcorn.

Rose

You do have a point lol. That's why when we go out and eat on weekends (to sort of treat ourselves) we wind up going to a food court and she gets her stuff and I get mine lol.. It will get even more interesting when my daughter is born too I'm sure...

It is true that if you don't get that good cup of coffee in the morning it can really stick a thorn in your side and set the mood for the rest of the day. However, I have found if that happens I just get it when I can, and it's a relief for sure

Hello Rose,

You are so correct about everything that you said about marriage being about compromise! I am extremely competitive and... she is to so it is just one of our things that we do. I have no desire to change her, she is far from perfect but she is perfect for me! I couldn't be happier with my partner. She likes what she likes and I like what I like even if we do not understand why the other likes what they like its ok.

Anyways my wife does drink my coffee some times and she drinks hers most of the time, I don't understand why but I love her just the same. and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkgan View Post
    Hello Rose,

You are so correct about everything that you said about marriage being about compromise! I am extremely competitive and... she is to so it is just one of our things that we do. I have no desire to change her, she is far from perfect but she is perfect for me! I couldn't be happier with my partner. She likes what she likes and I like what I like even if we do not understand why the other likes what they like its ok.

Anyways my wife does drink my coffee some times and she drinks hers most of the time, I don't understand why but I love her just the same. and I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Yes.. As I have mentioned before, opposites attract, and finding someone who likes all the same things would make like kind of boring, don't you think? Everyone has to have their different tastes, likes, dislikes, etc.

Love doesn't need to be understood, or even rational, it just has to be accepted. Spending time together is the real thing that matters.

So she sips her instant coffee, and you sip yours, just remember to not pick up the wrong cup lol

LOL yea I have done that actually... picked up the wrong cup. We both just laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkgan View Post
    LOL yea I have done that actually... picked up the wrong cup. We both just laugh!
    That's good. Cause I generally spit when I pick up the wrong cup!

Depending on where it lands, and where we are... Can be comical, or comically tragic..... :/

My girlfriend really enjoys cafe bustella instant. I think it's pretty good unlike their non instant offerings.

Let me get my tar pit boiling. I use to think instant was ok, until I started drinking real coffee. Instant coffee is sort of like comparing a tv with rabbit ears to HD. It ain't the same.

Hey Carter840, If you are going to drink instant, just go ahead and invest in a single cup machine. They are just as fast and the coffee selections are great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads