Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dont tar and feather me for asking! Instant?

This is a discussion on Dont tar and feather me for asking! Instant? within the Coffee Table forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Ok just a quick question here... I personally have never had an instant coffee that I really enjoyed. I drink fresh 99% of the time... ...

Dont tar and feather me for asking! Instant?

Ok just a quick question here... I personally have never had an instant coffee that I really enjoyed. I drink fresh 99% of the time... ok maybe 98% but the majority of the time I am sipping something fresh brewed and usuallly fresh ground. I did try a YouTube recipe that used cream and sugar to whip the instant coffee prior to adding hot water and milk. That is about the only way I can drink the stuff. But is there any instant coffee that is enjoyable?

I can smell the tar! lol

2. # ADS

Instant coffee? INSTANT COFFEE!??!

OK. Well... Yeah, in a bind, or not enough time to brew, I can see it...

Personally the only instant coffee I could get down was "PRESTO", it's a brand from Central America.

And saying you have not a found a brand of instant coffee you like, don't tar ME for this one... Are you by chance brewing the instant coffee like regular coffee? I knew someone who used to do that, and it ALWAYS comes out tasting nasty.

Super Moderator
    Hi "ppkgan"

No tar...No feathers...

When my mother (who usually brews drip coffee) wants a quick cup, she uses Nescafe Tasters Choice single serve packets (House Blend) She says it makes a decent cup of coffee....which is saying a lot considering how fussy she is. I've never tasted it, but it smells good when she makes it.

Rose

LOL thanks, I am not planning on crossing over to the dark side, but... just occurred to me that if there was a good flavor that someone would know about it here.

I have never tried to make it in a drip machine.

To be honest I really do carry my french press with me, and sometimes I think there has to be a better way. Drip machines are not an option and there are many times that good coffee is just not accessible. I guess the part of me that wants to be lazy wanted to know!

@Rose Thanks for the cover, I have tried Nescafe but it like everything else always tastes acidic.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hi "ppkgan"

No tar...No feathers...

When my mother (who usually brews drip coffee) wants a quick cup, she uses Nescafe Tasters Choice single serve packets (House Blend) She says it makes a decent cup of coffee....which is saying a lot considering how fussy she is. I've never tasted it, but it smells good when she makes it.

Rose
    Whaaaaaa.... A mother denying her child the taste of instant coffee??? :O

Next time she makes a cup, ask her for one too, you can both share in a common experience. Coffee, even instant coffee, is a great bonding tool.

On another note, instant coffee seems to be alright if you mix in some instant hot cocoa (I just did it)... Yeah... Lazy Hypocritical me... But it was a long day at work, and I just couldn't be bothered to wait for a new batch to be made.... Oh the shame... the shame....

That is all my wife drinks, she loves it. I took her to StarBucks for the first time. She refused to go somewhere that a cup of coffee was so expensive. Now she doesn't mind it so much On the weekends I try to mix up a batch just for her so I can slowly ween her off of it. I do not see a time in the near future where our shelves do not have any instant on them.

It has saved me a few times, so I am not about to complain! If I do my wife will be sure to point it out when I need a cup and am out of fresh beans LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkgan View Post
    That is all my wife drinks, she loves it. I took her to StarBucks for the first time. She refused to go somewhere that a cup of coffee was so expensive. Now she doesn't mind it so much On the weekends I try to mix up a batch just for her so I can slowly ween her off of it. I do not see a time in the near future where our shelves do not have any instant on them.

It has saved me a few times, so I am not about to complain! If I do my wife will be sure to point it out when I need a cup and am out of fresh beans LOL!
    I agree, StarBucks is outrageous! I'm trying to get the picture here.. You are trying to ween your wife off of regular coffee to switch to instant, or you are trying to ween her off the instant to go with fresh brewed? Actually, on a different topic, instant coffee can actually save your bacon in more ways than one.

If you like coffee flavored icecream, you can throw a teaspoon or so into a small container of vanilla icecream and voila! vanila-coffee ice cream. Of course, I can't really think what else it can do, but I'm sure if you Google it you can find a few good examples

Quote Originally Posted by MyMugsHalfFull View Post
    I agree, StarBucks is outrageous! I'm trying to get the picture here.. You are trying to ween your wife off of regular coffee to switch to instant, or you are trying to ween her off the instant to go with fresh brewed? Actually, on a different topic, instant coffee can actually save your bacon in more ways than one.

If you like coffee flavored ice cream, you can throw a teaspoon or so into a small container of vanilla icecream and voila! vanila-coffee ice cream. Of course, I can't really think what else it can do, but I'm sure if you Google it you can find a few good examples
    She only drinks instant, she is very frugal but she loves fresh brewed coffee. She grew up outside the US (In the East) and she still holds onto a lot of the old world ways. (Instant coffee is king there)

Great Idea on the ice cream though I never thought about it!!! And you are soooo right about having it in the house, I do drink it when I run out of beans. I think though my wife is fighting to get me to convert so we can save more money lol... bless her soul!

Well, it's not always about the money You gotta think what is more economical in the long run I suppose, but if it is about saving $10 a month ($120 a year) might be worth considering, however, you only live once, and everyone has to have their little indulgences. Unless of course you are drinking that gourmet cat crap coffee (which runs about $1000 a bag) then I would start worrying.

Hmmm... I had a thought that might make you both a little happier. Have switch days. Say during the week you both drink instant, but during the weekends you drink the good stuff It's a compromise, would save money, and she wouldn't have to try and change your ways lol.

Super Moderator
    Hi "ppkgan"

You mentioned that you make coffee in your French Press, and your wife enjoys having instant coffee.....I don't see the problem.

She enjoys what she wants, and you enjoy what you want. I'm sure you don't go through a lot of coffee all by yourself. Maybe money isn't the issue here. Maybe one person is looking for a way to control the other.

I wouldn't go for the switch days idea. One of you will be unhappy on your "off" day. It's not worth it.

Marriage is all about compromise, respecting each other's individuality, and learning how to play nice together. When you slip into trying to change the other person, (even if it's about something small like coffee preferences) you're treading into dangerous territory. The little bit of money saved in this case isn't worth the sacrifice and resentment that may follow.

Life is too short to fret about the small stuff. Just brew your individual coffees, and sit out on the porch, and enjoy the time you have with each other.

Rose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads