Dont tar and feather me for asking! Instant?

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok just a quick question here... I personally have never had an instant coffee that I really enjoyed. I drink fresh 99% of the time... ok maybe 98% but the majority of the time I am sipping something fresh brewed and usuallly fresh ground. I did try a YouTube recipe that used cream and sugar to whip the instant coffee prior to adding hot water and milk. That is about the only way I can drink the stuff. But is there any instant coffee that is enjoyable?

I can smell the tar! lol

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Instant coffee? INSTANT COFFEE!??!

OK. Well... Yeah, in a bind, or not enough time to brew, I can see it...

Personally the only instant coffee I could get down was "PRESTO", it's a brand from Central America.

And saying you have not a found a brand of instant coffee you like, don't tar ME for this one... Are you by chance brewing the instant coffee like regular coffee? I knew someone who used to do that, and it ALWAYS comes out tasting nasty.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "ppkgan"

No tar...No feathers...

When my mother (who usually brews drip coffee) wants a quick cup, she uses Nescafe Tasters Choice single serve packets (House Blend) She says it makes a decent cup of coffee....which is saying a lot considering how fussy she is. I've never tasted it, but it smells good when she makes it.

Rose

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
LOL thanks, I am not planning on crossing over to the dark side, but... just occurred to me that if there was a good flavor that someone would know about it here.

I have never tried to make it in a drip machine.

To be honest I really do carry my french press with me, and sometimes I think there has to be a better way. Drip machines are not an option and there are many times that good coffee is just not accessible. I guess the part of me that wants to be lazy wanted to know!

@Rose Thanks for the cover, I have tried Nescafe but it like everything else always tastes acidic.

Thanks for the input!

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi "ppkgan"

No tar...No feathers...

When my mother (who usually brews drip coffee) wants a quick cup, she uses Nescafe Tasters Choice single serve packets (House Blend) She says it makes a decent cup of coffee....which is saying a lot considering how fussy she is. I've never tasted it, but it smells good when she makes it.

Rose

Whaaaaaa.... A mother denying her child the taste of instant coffee??? :O

Next time she makes a cup, ask her for one too, you can both share in a common experience. Coffee, even instant coffee, is a great bonding tool.

On another note, instant coffee seems to be alright if you mix in some instant hot cocoa (I just did it)... Yeah... Lazy Hypocritical me... But it was a long day at work, and I just couldn't be bothered to wait for a new batch to be made.... Oh the shame... the shame....

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
That is all my wife drinks, she loves it. I took her to StarBucks for the first time. She refused to go somewhere that a cup of coffee was so expensive. Now she doesn't mind it so much :) On the weekends I try to mix up a batch just for her so I can slowly ween her off of it. I do not see a time in the near future where our shelves do not have any instant on them.

It has saved me a few times, so I am not about to complain! If I do my wife will be sure to point it out when I need a cup and am out of fresh beans LOL!

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
That is all my wife drinks, she loves it. I took her to StarBucks for the first time. She refused to go somewhere that a cup of coffee was so expensive. Now she doesn't mind it so much :) On the weekends I try to mix up a batch just for her so I can slowly ween her off of it. I do not see a time in the near future where our shelves do not have any instant on them.

It has saved me a few times, so I am not about to complain! If I do my wife will be sure to point it out when I need a cup and am out of fresh beans LOL!

I agree, StarBucks is outrageous! I'm trying to get the picture here.. You are trying to ween your wife off of regular coffee to switch to instant, or you are trying to ween her off the instant to go with fresh brewed? Actually, on a different topic, instant coffee can actually save your bacon in more ways than one.

If you like coffee flavored icecream, you can throw a teaspoon or so into a small container of vanilla icecream and voila! vanila-coffee ice cream. Of course, I can't really think what else it can do, but I'm sure if you Google it you can find a few good examples :)

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, StarBucks is outrageous! I'm trying to get the picture here.. You are trying to ween your wife off of regular coffee to switch to instant, or you are trying to ween her off the instant to go with fresh brewed? Actually, on a different topic, instant coffee can actually save your bacon in more ways than one.

If you like coffee flavored ice cream, you can throw a teaspoon or so into a small container of vanilla icecream and voila! vanila-coffee ice cream. Of course, I can't really think what else it can do, but I'm sure if you Google it you can find a few good examples :)

She only drinks instant, she is very frugal but she loves fresh brewed coffee. She grew up outside the US (In the East) and she still holds onto a lot of the old world ways. (Instant coffee is king there)

Great Idea on the ice cream though I never thought about it!!! And you are soooo right about having it in the house, I do drink it when I run out of beans. I think though my wife is fighting to get me to convert so we can save more money lol... bless her soul!

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's not always about the money :) You gotta think what is more economical in the long run I suppose, but if it is about saving $10 a month ($120 a year) might be worth considering, however, you only live once, and everyone has to have their little indulgences. Unless of course you are drinking that gourmet cat crap coffee (which runs about $1000 a bag) then I would start worrying.

Hmmm... I had a thought that might make you both a little happier. Have switch days. Say during the week you both drink instant, but during the weekends you drink the good stuff :) It's a compromise, would save money, and she wouldn't have to try and change your ways lol.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "ppkgan"

You mentioned that you make coffee in your French Press, and your wife enjoys having instant coffee.....I don't see the problem.

She enjoys what she wants, and you enjoy what you want. I'm sure you don't go through a lot of coffee all by yourself. Maybe money isn't the issue here. Maybe one person is looking for a way to control the other.

I wouldn't go for the switch days idea. One of you will be unhappy on your "off" day. It's not worth it.

Marriage is all about compromise, respecting each other's individuality, and learning how to play nice together. When you slip into trying to change the other person, (even if it's about something small like coffee preferences) you're treading into dangerous territory. The little bit of money saved in this case isn't worth the sacrifice and resentment that may follow.

Life is too short to fret about the small stuff. Just brew your individual coffees, and sit out on the porch, and enjoy the time you have with each other.

Rose

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi "ppkgan"

You mentioned that you make coffee in your French Press, and your wife enjoys having instant coffee.....I don't see the problem.

She enjoys what she wants, and you enjoy what you want. I'm sure you don't go through a lot of coffee all by yourself. Maybe money isn't the issue here. Maybe one person is looking for a way to control the other.

I wouldn't go for the switch days idea. One of you will be unhappy on your "off" day. It's not worth it.

Marriage is all about compromise, respecting each other's individuality, and learning how to play nice together. When you slip into trying to change the other person, (even if it's about something small like coffee preferences) you're treading into dangerous territory. The little bit of money saved in this case isn't worth the sacrifice and resentment that may follow.

Life is too short to fret about the small stuff. Just brew your individual coffees, and sit out on the porch, and enjoy the time you have with each other.

Rose

Well said. It is true that they probably wouldn't go through that much coffee on their own.. My wife and I have our different tastes, not when it comes to coffee, but certain other things like avocado (yuck), and other things. I don't see an issue with the compromise of the coffee on the off days. It's sort of the same with me and her compromising on movie nights. Sometimes she wants to see something I really don't want to see, or I want to see something she doesn't want to see. But we sit there together and watch it, and we enjoy the time together. Doesn't happen too often as we have sort of the same taste in movies. And lately they have all been crap anyway lol

It's the little differences that make like interesting. If we all liked exactly the same things, and all had the same tastes wouldn't life be boring? The variety, and the difference is what makes it all worthwhile. Opposites attract as they say :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I view compromising on watching movies, or going to the mall, or attending a sporting event as somewhat different than compromising on food or drink choices (including coffee). If I had to drink instant coffee every other day....I'd skip the coffee and be grumpy all day.

From what I've been reading in several of the threads on this forum, "ppkgan" has been exploring the world of "good" coffee on his own and he likes what he's discovered so far. Trying to make him drink instant coffee is going to be a tug of war, just like trying to get his wife to enjoy the "good" coffee won't work either. I think it's best to keep things separate when it comes to food and drink choices.

Speaking of movies, when we're home watching movies, I'm the only one who likes the low-fat popcorn (rather than the one with butter) and we make two kinds of popcorn so everyone is happy (including me). I compromise on the movie selections, but not on the popcorn.

Rose

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I view compromising on watching movies, or going to the mall, or attending a sporting event as somewhat different than compromising on food or drink choices (including coffee). If I had to drink instant coffee every other day....I'd skip the coffee and be grumpy all day.

From what I've been reading in several of the threads on this forum, "ppkgan" has been exploring the world of "good" coffee on his own and he likes what he's discovered so far. Trying to make him drink instant coffee is going to be a tug of war, just like trying to get his wife to enjoy the "good" coffee won't work either. I think it's best to keep things separate when it comes to food and drink choices.

Speaking of movies, when we're home watching movies, I'm the only one who likes the low-fat popcorn (rather than the one with butter) and we make two kinds of popcorn so everyone is happy (including me). I compromise on the movie selections, but not on the popcorn.

Rose

You do have a point lol. That's why when we go out and eat on weekends (to sort of treat ourselves) we wind up going to a food court and she gets her stuff and I get mine lol.. It will get even more interesting when my daughter is born too I'm sure...

It is true that if you don't get that good cup of coffee in the morning it can really stick a thorn in your side and set the mood for the rest of the day. However, I have found if that happens I just get it when I can, and it's a relief for sure :)

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello Rose,

You are so correct about everything that you said about marriage being about compromise! I am extremely competitive and... she is to so it is just one of our things that we do. I have no desire to change her, she is far from perfect but she is perfect for me! I couldn't be happier with my partner. She likes what she likes and I like what I like even if we do not understand why the other likes what they like its ok.

Anyways my wife does drink my coffee some times and she drinks hers most of the time, I don't understand why but I love her just the same. :) and I wouldn't have it any other way!

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello Rose,

You are so correct about everything that you said about marriage being about compromise! I am extremely competitive and... she is to so it is just one of our things that we do. I have no desire to change her, she is far from perfect but she is perfect for me! I couldn't be happier with my partner. She likes what she likes and I like what I like even if we do not understand why the other likes what they like its ok.

Anyways my wife does drink my coffee some times and she drinks hers most of the time, I don't understand why but I love her just the same. :) and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Yes.. As I have mentioned before, opposites attract, and finding someone who likes all the same things would make like kind of boring, don't you think? Everyone has to have their different tastes, likes, dislikes, etc.

Love doesn't need to be understood, or even rational, it just has to be accepted. Spending time together is the real thing that matters.

So she sips her instant coffee, and you sip yours, just remember to not pick up the wrong cup lol :D