Is Coffee From a French Press as Healthy?

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there any truth to what they say about coffee from a french press being less healthy than a cup that is filtered? I heard that filtered coffee is supposed to be better for you. Not that I am going to change my habit or anything, just doing the math unless this whole Mayan Calendar thing turns out to be a myth!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the logic, unless they say a small amount of coffee grounds in the stomach is bad for you.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I think that they are referencing unfiltered coffee to an increases in cholesterol. I am not sure if they mean the paper filters or the actual act of filtering coffee (Like my press does). Just curious if there is a difference between a paper filter and press in regards to that.

I saw it on a news health spot when watching television. On a side note TV is probably way worse for cholesterol levels than coffee!

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I too have heard about the extra oils being present in French pressed coffee but I figure that the extra grounds will help in cleaning out the digestive tract.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yea not going to change the way I make my coffee, I dont know if anyone else feels this way but I like it better than a drip machine. Just saw that on TV and thought I would do a little fact checking here!

graydog

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I too have been researching the French press machines. They seem to make good coffee because they use 190 degree water instead of 210 degree. There are a lot of them for sale on eBay and Amazon in various sizes. Some are glass, some plastic, and some stainless steel. Also some are insulated. The 8 cup size is only 34 ounces, so it is really only 4 cups of 8 oz. each.