Pour Over Coffee Chains

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I just read about a San Francisco chain that is doing really well with Pour Over Coffee. Just curious if anyone has tried this method or drank this type of coffee before. To be honest I have not even heard about this until this forum. Is it better than my french press? I am thinking about trying it can someone give me a suggestion on a good way to do it or some home equipment that is quality.

Thank you!

Denvercoffeelife

Sep 30, 2012
Denver
Visit site
Hey ppkgan,
Manual pour options have been around awhile. It falls under the "full immersion" brewing where your making one cup at a time. Bee house, Melitta, and Hario all make great pour over cones you can purchase. There is a plethora of videos and guides out there that will walk you through the process. (youtube-pour over or chemex). Most roaster sites have brew guides as well.

I personally will take a Chemex, pour over, Aeropress, siphon, etc over drip brewed coffee any day. Not to be a snob, but you will see the difference when you get your equipment and start brewing a cup at a time. You have full control over temp, brew time, and extraction ratio, which imo is key for producing a good cup.
Here in Denver most great coffee shops only offer manual pour options as the coffee of the day. You come in, pick a coffee, and its ground/brewed right in front of you.

If just starting down this path, I highly recommend getting a pour over, Chemex or Aeropress. Your coffee experience is sure to be taken to the next level!

Good luck.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for the input I will look this stuff up and start brewing this way for a change of pace!