Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Advertisements in Coffee Shops: Tacky?

This is a discussion on Advertisements in Coffee Shops: Tacky? within the Coffee Table forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; I have a friend who flips the placemat over so she won't have to see the advertisements. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there reading them. When I'm ...

Super Moderator
    I have a friend who flips the placemat over so she won't have to see the advertisements. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there reading them. When I'm with her, I wait until we're finished eating before I tear off the ads that I want to keep.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    I have a friend who flips the placemat over so she won't have to see the advertisements. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there reading them. When I'm with her, I wait until we're finished eating before I tear off the ads that I want to keep.
    Why do you do that? I don't see any shame in keeping the ads that you want, if they are useful. So she doesn't like the ads, just don't say anything, take yours and I bet she wouldn't even raise an eyebrow Well, OK, she might raise an eyebrow, but I doubt it would go beyond that

Super Moderator
    She's somewhat older than I am (my mother's age). I think she gets annoyed looking at my placemat when I make holes in it. It does look pretty shabby sometimes. The eyebrow gets raised, and the heavy sighs start. She's okay with me ripping holes, (she has asked me to tear out ads for her too) but only after we're done eating. She's been a good friend, and she's somewhat entertaining. I just go with the flow. . . .

Super Moderator
    I once worked in a cafe that had a large bulletin board hanging on the wall in the hallway leading to the rest rooms. The main idea was for local businesses to put a card or flier about specials or upcoming events. As time went on, the whole thing was loaded with all sorts of business cards, tear off coupons, posters, etc, from car salesmen, insurance places, Avon representatives, personal trainers, powerwashers, vitamin peddlers, etc. It was looking junky, and the staff was getting tired of "cleaning up the clutter." It eventually was taken down.

I used to see those community bulletin boards in the main entranceway of large supermarkets, but I don't see them much anymore. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Pizza places seem to get a lot of clutter ads and fliers that they put in the windows and around the counter area. I think all that faded, smudged paper is tacky - no matter what type of business it is.

Rose

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    I once worked in a cafe that had a large bulletin board hanging on the wall in the hallway leading to the rest rooms. The main idea was for local businesses to put a card or flier about specials or upcoming events. As time went on, the whole thing was loaded with all sorts of business cards, tear off coupons, posters, etc, from car salesmen, insurance places, Avon representatives, personal trainers, powerwashers, vitamin peddlers, etc. It was looking junky, and the staff was getting tired of "cleaning up the clutter." It eventually was taken down.

I used to see those community bulletin boards in the main entranceway of large supermarkets, but I don't see them much anymore. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Pizza places seem to get a lot of clutter ads and fliers that they put in the windows and around the counter area. I think all that faded, smudged paper is tacky - no matter what type of business it is.

Rose
    Very good point. Actually, I think they have moved most ads to the general direction of the bathroom. In mens rooms anyway, they have an ad in front up above the urinal sometimes. I guess they figure you got nothing better to do while you're there than to read up on the latest movie release, or better internet speeds.

On the point of ripping up placemats.. Yeah, you probably should wait until you're done you're meal first I remember a place called Crabby Joes' (they still exist?) that let you draw all over their tables, and throw peanut shells on the floor... Interesting draw, food wasn't bad either.

This brings up a point of coffee sleeves and coffee cups. How may people use coffee sleeves versus printed cups? I know that this depends alot on the number of cups used per day/month but was wondering if people had a preference or like/dislike about sleeves?
    Brian

Super Moderator
    A lot of people use the coffee cup sleeves. They provide a nice buffer between the heat coming from the cup and your tender little fingers. In my experience, I'd say about 60% of the people that I serve use the sleeves. I know they almost always use them when they get hot chocolate or tea. We don't automatically put a sleeve on the cup when we serve them their beverage. They either have to ask for it, or they put it on the cup themselves when they visit the condiment area.

Rose

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBrian View Post
    This brings up a point of coffee sleeves and coffee cups. How may people use coffee sleeves versus printed cups? I know that this depends alot on the number of cups used per day/month but was wondering if people had a preference or like/dislike about sleeves?
    Brian
    Personally, I use either or, but I do like the sleeves as opposed to the printed cups. I can't really put my finger on it... Oh wait... There it is.. As rose mentioned.. Temperature

I dont mind a local events board or what not but it has to be cleaned out often....they really do get WAY to cluttered with useless info. I think if coffee shops have any advertisement it should be about what they are doing and their product. that being said I love the placemat ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads