Advertisements in Coffee Shops: Tacky?

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
You know, I was standing in line at the local coffee stop and was taking a look around, and I noticed something... There were very few advertisements. I mean, sure for their own products there were a couple, and there was ONE advertisement on the door about a special brand of imported coffee you could buy and brew at home. There was also a board where it had maybe 2 posters about local events, that's it...

Now, I compare this to the last time I went to a larger coffee chain, and there were so many ads plastered to their main window you could hardly see the tables inside...

My question was this.. Do you think ads in coffee shops are tacky? I think they are, especially since you are there for the coffee, not to be inundated with ads.

I also noticed something else, it was the MORE expensive place that had the most ads... WTH? I would have thought maybe there were trying to earn more money or something, but... Nope....

What you guys think?

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It is a matter of preference. Some times it is nice to see some ads regarding something you might be interested in but I wouldn't want it to be overboard either. I think it is a mattter of how it is done, but that is just my opinion.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't mind seeing posters about upcoming local events, because they are removed after the events are over. But ads selling things such as vacuum cleaners, vitamin products, and pest control, etc. are in the tacky category.

Stickers, decals, and magnets from every fire department, non-profit, Boys/Girls clubs, or whatever other place the cafe donated to are annoying too. Who wants to see all of that clutter? Not me!

Rose

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I Personaly have a love hate relationship to marketing. I am intrigued by the ways that we sell stuff to people (I went to school for marketing) but I am baffled at how people are drawn into it at the same time. I look at everything I see and pick out the marketing angle and prefer it when I do not see the slogans or ads. I like being outside of the country and the lack of marketing I absorb. I do like to go places and have minimal marketing campaigns shoved down my throat.

Perhaps I feel this way because I have experience with the industry.

On the other hand it is good for business, and understand why people use it to promote their company. I definitely don't blame someone for loading up on the brochures, fliers, and posters. I would not use marketing as a deciding factor for spending money somewhere.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
ppk: I'm with you. I also have a degree in marketing and can't help but seeing the "man behind the curtain," when looking at ads.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind seeing posters about upcoming local events, because they are removed after the events are over. But ads selling things such as vacuum cleaners, vitamin products, and pest control, etc. are in the tacky category.

Stickers, decals, and magnets from every fire department, non-profit, Boys/Girls clubs, or whatever other place the cafe donated to are annoying too. Who wants to see all of that clutter? Not me!

Rose

The biggest issue I have seen with the places that go overboard on ads is that they are OLD ads.. The local event that happened in October, and it's now January for example.. I guess it all comes down to management, however, you think they would be a little more mindful of things like that.

I have a couple of places I frequent, and you know coffee shops are the only real places that are inundated with ads that are sort of not relevant. If you go to some local pubs, restaurants, taverns, bars, heck even grocery stores, you generally won't see ads for vacuum cleaners, or the next gadget or gizmo. Sure you'll see ads around for products, or upcoming events, but I have noticed that coffee shops tend to be unique in not "filtering" their ads more..

Has anyone else noticed this?

AaronS81

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely tacky and tasteless. I love the unique shops who creatively promote events, drinks, etc however I would be turned off to whole business if they advertised period. I agree that you go to a local shop for coffee, if you like them then you may be willing to get involved in events they are trying to help promote. For me a coffee shop that advertised has forgotten who they are.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You must also think of the inept people who are in line who don't want to talk to other people in line. This gives them something to do while waiting. Also, you have to think of how much income the smart owners are getting from allowing other people to advertize in their shops. (stress the "smart" people because most will display ads from companies that are not paying for this valuable space.)
Brian

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Speaking of captive audiences for advertisements, sometimes diners have paper placemats that have local advertising on them. While I'm waiting for my sandwich, I look at the advertisements and I often see something that interests me. Then, I tear off that part of the placemat and put it in my pocket. Last summer, I found a guy to cut down some trees in my yard because he advertised on the placemat. If he had a poster plastered on the window or by the cash register, I probably wouldn't have paid attention to it.

Rose

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of captive audiences for advertisements, sometimes diners have paper placemats that have local advertising on them. While I'm waiting for my sandwich, I look at the advertisements and I often see something that interests me. Then, I tear off that part of the placemat and put it in my pocket. Last summer, I found a guy to cut down some trees in my yard because he advertised on the placemat. If he had a poster plastered on the window or by the cash register, I probably wouldn't have paid attention to it.

Rose

Now, see, placemat ads I have no problem with. If I don't happen to like the ads, I can show my disdain by doodling all over them.. Without being kicked out of the establishment lol...

Actually, I kinda like the placemat ads, but again, normally they are USEFUL ads as you pointed out, and you can bet the owners ARE getting paid for that.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have a friend who flips the placemat over so she won't have to see the advertisements. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there reading them. When I'm with her, I wait until we're finished eating before I tear off the ads that I want to keep.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend who flips the placemat over so she won't have to see the advertisements. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there reading them. When I'm with her, I wait until we're finished eating before I tear off the ads that I want to keep.

Why do you do that? I don't see any shame in keeping the ads that you want, if they are useful. So she doesn't like the ads, just don't say anything, take yours and I bet she wouldn't even raise an eyebrow :) Well, OK, she might raise an eyebrow, but I doubt it would go beyond that ;)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
She's somewhat older than I am (my mother's age). I think she gets annoyed looking at my placemat when I make holes in it. It does look pretty shabby sometimes. The eyebrow gets raised, and the heavy sighs start. She's okay with me ripping holes, (she has asked me to tear out ads for her too) but only after we're done eating. She's been a good friend, and she's somewhat entertaining. I just go with the flow. . . .

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I once worked in a cafe that had a large bulletin board hanging on the wall in the hallway leading to the rest rooms. The main idea was for local businesses to put a card or flier about specials or upcoming events. As time went on, the whole thing was loaded with all sorts of business cards, tear off coupons, posters, etc, from car salesmen, insurance places, Avon representatives, personal trainers, powerwashers, vitamin peddlers, etc. It was looking junky, and the staff was getting tired of "cleaning up the clutter." It eventually was taken down.

I used to see those community bulletin boards in the main entranceway of large supermarkets, but I don't see them much anymore. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Pizza places seem to get a lot of clutter ads and fliers that they put in the windows and around the counter area. I think all that faded, smudged paper is tacky - no matter what type of business it is.

Rose

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I once worked in a cafe that had a large bulletin board hanging on the wall in the hallway leading to the rest rooms. The main idea was for local businesses to put a card or flier about specials or upcoming events. As time went on, the whole thing was loaded with all sorts of business cards, tear off coupons, posters, etc, from car salesmen, insurance places, Avon representatives, personal trainers, powerwashers, vitamin peddlers, etc. It was looking junky, and the staff was getting tired of "cleaning up the clutter." It eventually was taken down.

I used to see those community bulletin boards in the main entranceway of large supermarkets, but I don't see them much anymore. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Pizza places seem to get a lot of clutter ads and fliers that they put in the windows and around the counter area. I think all that faded, smudged paper is tacky - no matter what type of business it is.

Rose

Very good point. Actually, I think they have moved most ads to the general direction of the bathroom. In mens rooms anyway, they have an ad in front up above the urinal sometimes. I guess they figure you got nothing better to do while you're there than to read up on the latest movie release, or better internet speeds.

On the point of ripping up placemats.. Yeah, you probably should wait until you're done you're meal first :) I remember a place called Crabby Joes' (they still exist?) that let you draw all over their tables, and throw peanut shells on the floor... Interesting draw, food wasn't bad either.